55th Medical Group
In 2001, the 44th Medical Brigade (Airborne) was reorganized and redesignated as the 44th Medical Command. As part of the transformation, the 55th Medical Group was inactivated and its units reassigned directly to the new command.
The 55th Medical Group was first constituted on 13 January 1941 in the Regular Army as the 55th Medical Battalion and activated on 10 February 1941 at Fort Sam Houston, Texas. The unit was reorganized and redesignated on 31 July 1942 as the 55th Medical Battalion, Motorized. The Battalion broken up 5 April 1944 and its elements reorganized and redesignated. Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 55th Medical Battalion, Motorized was reorganized and redesignated as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 55th Medical Battalion. Companies A, B, and C were reorganized and redesignated as the 494th, 495th, and 496th Medical Collecting Companies, respectively. The Battalion's Clearing Company was reorganized and redesignated as the 650th Medical Clearing Company. The latter 4 units thereafter had separate lineages. The unit participated in 5 campaigns of the Second World War: Normandy, Northern France, Rhineland, Ardennes-Alsace, and Central Europe. The Battalion was inactivated on 3 March 1946 in Germany after the end of the Second World War.
The Battalion was reactivated on 6 September 1955 at Fort Bragg, North Carolina. It was reorganized and redesignated on 20 December 1956 as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 55th Medical Group.
The 55th Medical Group deployed to Vietnam and participated in 11 campaigns of the conflict there: Counteroffensive, Counteroffensive Phase II, Counteroffensive Phase III, Tet Counteroffensive, Counteroffensive Phase IV, Counteroffensive Phase V, Counteroffensive Phase VI, Tet 69/Counteroffensive, Summer-Fall 1969, Winter-Spring 1970, and Sanctuary Counteroffensive. The Group was inactivated on 25 June 1970 in Vietnam.
The Group was reactivated 25 March 1971 at Fort Bragg, North Carolina and inactivated there on 21 September 1974. It was again reactivated on 1 October 1992 at Fort Bragg, North Carolina, as part of the 44th Medical Brigade (Airborne), XVIII Corps.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|