541st Combat Sustainment Support Battalion
541st Corps Support Battalion
541st Maintenance Battalion
Beginning in 2006, the 1st Infantry Division (Mechanized) began transformation to the US Army's new modular force structure. The Division Support Command was redesignated as the 1st Sustainment Brigade, 1st Infantry Division (Mechanized) as part of this reorganization, and its subordinate units were similarly reconfigured. The 541st Corps Support Battalion, previously assigned to III Corps, was reassigned to the 1st Sustainment Brigade, and was redesignated as the 541st Combat Sustainment Support Battalion. The 541st Combat Sustainment Support Battalion is comprised of 6 separate units. These units include 1st Maintenance Company, which includes 95th Maintenance Detachment (TMDE), 24th Transportation Company (which includes 2nd Heavy Truck Platoon, 2nd Transportation Company), 172nd Chemical Company (Smoke), 774th Ordnance Company (EOD), and the Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 541st CSSB. Each unit was a non-divisional asset with its own unique mission. Each of these units provided daily mission support to the installation, while maintaining a high state of readiness for deployment.
The unit was first constituted on 19 December 1942 in the Army of the United States as the 541st Quartermaster Battalion and activated on 28 December 1942 at Camp Stoneman, California. The Battalion was broken up on 20 September 1943 and its elements reorganized and redesignated. Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment was redesignated as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 541st Quartermaster Battalion, while Companies A, B, C and D as the 3180th, 3181st, 3182nd and 3183rd Quartermaster Service Companies, respectively, thereafter had separate lineages. Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 541st Quartermaster Battalion was inactivated on 13 May 1946 in Germany.
The unit was redesignated on 27 September 1966 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 541st Supply and Service Battalion, and allotted to the Regular Army. It was activated on 25 November 1966 at Fort Riley, Kansas.
The unit was again reorganized and redesignated on 21 June 1973 as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 541st Maintenance Battalion. The 541st Maintenance Battalion's mission was to deploy, establish, and provide command and control for company size logistical units in an area of operations in direct support of Corps or Theater units.
The 541st Maintenance Battalion consisted of a number of units each with their own lineage and honors, which had a total of 37 campaign credits from World War I, II, and the Korean, Vietnam, and the Persian Gulf Wars. They had also been awarded 6 unit decorations. Originally constituted as a quartermaster and later as a supply and service battalion, the Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment had campaign credit for Rhineland in World War II. These units included the 172nd Chemical Company (Smoke), 55th Engineer Company (Medium Girder Bridge), 568th Engineer Company (Combat Support Equipment), 1st Maintenance Company (Direct Support), 74th Ordnance Detachment (Explosive Ordnance Disposal), and the 24th Transportation Company (Medium Truck).
The 541st Maintenance Battalion was subsequently redesignated as the 541st Corps Support Battalion. The unit subsequently support deployed elements of the 24th Infantry Division (Mechanized) during Operation Desert Shield and Desert Storm. In 2006, the 1st Infantry Division (Mechanized) began transformation to the US Army's new modular force structure, having also started redeployment from Germany to Fort Riley Kansas. As part of this transformation, the Division's support units were reorganized and the 541st Corps Support Battalion was redesignated as the 541st Combat Sustainment Support Battalion and assigned to the 1st Sustainment Brigade, 1st Infantry Division (Mechanized).
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|