5th Battalion - 46th Infantry Regiment
As of late February 2002, the 5th Battalion, 46th Infantry, was inactive.
The 5th Battalion, 46th Infantry, was originally constituted on 15 May 1917 in the Regular Army as Company E, 46th Infantry. It organized on 4 June 1917 at Fort Benjamin Harrison, IN (the 46th Infantry assigned on 5 July 1918 to the 9th Division; and relieved on 15 February 1919 from assignment to the 9th Division). It inactivated on 16 November 1921 at Camp Travis, TX, and demobilized on 31 July 1922.
It reconstituted on 28 August 1941 in the Regular Army as Company E, 46th Infantry (Armored), an element of the 5th Armored Division, and activated on 1 October 1941 at Fort Knox, KY. It was redesignated on 1 January 1942 as Company E, 46th Armored Infantry. It was reorganized and redesignated on 20 September 1943 as Company B, 15th Armored Infantry Battalion, an element of the 5th Armored Division, before inactivating on 8 October 1945 at Camp Myles Standish, MA.
The unit activated on 6 July 1948 at Camp Chaffee, AR, where it inactivated on 1 February 1950.
The unit activated again on 1 September 1950 at Camp Chaffee, AR, and inactivated there on 16 March 1956 (the 15th Armored Infantry Battalion was relieved on 15 February 1957 from assignment to the 5th Armored Division).
Redesignated on 1 July 1959 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 5th Battle Group, 46th Infantry, it was redesignated on 2 October 1967 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 5th Battalion, 46th Infantry, and activated at Fort Hood, TX (its organic elements were concurrently constituted and activated). The battalion was assigned on 31 March 1968 to the 198th Infantry Brigade. It was relieved on 15 February 1969 from assignment to the 198th Infantry Brigade and assigned to the 23d Infantry Division. It inactivated on 22 May 1971 at Fort Lewis, WA.
Headquarters transferred on 1 October 2000 to the United States Army Training and Doctrine Command and activated at Fort Knox, KY.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|