47th Combat Support Hospital
The 47th Combat Support Hospital was first constituted on 21 December 1928 in the Regular Army as the 47th Surgical Hospital. It was redesignated on 31 May 1943 as the 47th Portable Surgical Hospital and activated on 7 June 1943 at Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri. During the Second World War, the Hospital participated in the China Defensive campaign. After the end of the Second World War, the Hospital was inactivated on 3 November 1945 at Camp Kilmer, New Jersey.
The Hospital was redesignated on 24 November 1952 as the 47th Mobile Army Surgical Hospital and activated on 2 February 1953 in Korea. It was reorganized and redesignated on 25 March 1953 as the 47th Surgical Hospital. During the Korean War, the Hospital participated in 2 campaigns: Third Korean Winter and Korea Summer 1953. The Hospital was inactivated on 15 November 1957 at Fort Riley, Kansas.
The Hospital was reactivated on 10 January 1968 at Fort Lewis, Washington. It was reorganized and redesignated on 21 May 1973 as the 47th Combat Support Hospital. The Hospital deployed in support of Operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm, participating in 3 campaigns in Southwest Asia: Defense of Saudi Arabia, Liberation and Defense of Kuwait, and Cease-Fire between 1990 and 1991.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|