4th Battalion - 11th Field Artillery Regiment
The 4th Battalion, 11th Field Artillery, is a light Artillery unit equipped with the M119A1 towed 105mm howitzer. The battalion is assigned to, and in direct support of, the 172nd Infantry Brigade, (Separate), with the headquarters located at Fort Wainwright, Alaska. The Brigade, commonly called the Arctic Warrior Brigade is currently the Army's only separate light infantry brigade. We are the Army's arctic warfighting experts.
The mission of the battalion is to plan, coordinate, synchronize and execute fire support operations in direct support of brigade combat operations anywhere in the world. Although stationed in Alaska and equipped for fighting under arctic conditions, elements of the 4th Battalion 11th Field Artillery have deployed and trained in the desert at the National Training Center in California, in the humid environs of the Joint Readiness Training Center in Louisiana, as well as such far and away places as Thailand, the Philippines, United Kingdom, and Guam.
The 4th Battalion, 11th Field Artillery, was originally constituted 1 July 1916 in the Regular Army as Battery D, 11th Field Artillery. It organized on 1 June 1917 at Douglas, AZ. (11th Field Artillery was assigned in November 1917 to the 6th Division; it was relieved on 12 November 1920 from assignment to the 6th Division; assigned on 1 March 1921 to the Hawaiian Division [later redesignated the 24th Infantry Division].)
The unit reorganized and was redesignated on 1 October 1941 as Battery D, 11th Field Artillery Battalion. It was absorbed on 31 August 1942 by Battery A, 11th Field Artillery Battalion.
Former Battery D, 11th Field Artillery Battalion, was reconstituted 31 March 1958 in the Regular Army and redesignated as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 4th Rocket Howitzer Battalion, 11th Artillery; it was concurrently, withdrawn from the Regular Army, allotted to the Army Reserve, and assigned to the 96th Infantry Division (its organic elements were concurrently constituted).
The Battalion activated on 1 June 1959 with Headquarters at Salt Lake City, UT. It was redesignated on 15 February 1963 as the 4th Howitzer Battalion, 11th Artillery, relieved from assignment to the 96th Infantry Division, and assigned to the 191st Infantry Brigade. It was relieved on 1 September 1964 from assignment to the 191st Infantry Brigade. It inactivated on 29 February 1968 at Salt Lake City, UT.
It was redesignated on 1 September 1971 as the 4th Howitzer Battalion, 11th Field Artillery.
The unit was withdrawn on 2 October 1986 from the Army Reserve and allotted to the Regular Army; it was concurrently redesignated as the 4th Battalion, 11th Field Artillery, assigned to the 172nd Infantry Brigade, and activated at Fort Richardson, AK. It relocated to Fort Wainwright, AK, on 21 April 1994.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|