391st Engineer Battalion (Combat Light)
The 391st Engineer Battalion was constituted 5 May 1942 in the Army of the United States as 1st Battalion, 52d Engineers. Redesignated 1 August 1942 as 1st Battalion, 52d Engineer Combat Regiment. Activated 30 November 1942 at Camp Butner, North Carolina. Reorganized and redesignated 1 April 1943 as the 52d Engineer Combat Battalion. Inactivated 10 March 1946 in Japan. Redesignated 27 June 1947 as the 391st Engineer Combat Battalion and allotted to the Organized Reserves. Activated 20 July 1947 with Headquarters at Lakeland, Florida (location changed 17 May 1948 to Bartow, Florida; on 18 December 1952 to Lakeland, Florida). Organized Reserves redesignated 25 March 1948 as the Organized Reserve Corps; redesignated 9 July 1952 as the Army Reserve. Reorganized and redesignated 28 February 1953 as the 391st Engineer Battalion. Location of Headquarters changed 1 June 1959 to Greenville, South Carolina. Ordered into active military service 15 October 1961 at Greenville, South Carolina; released from active military service 9 August 1962 and reverted to reserve status.
Elements of the 391st Engineer Battalion assisted in the construction of a new training area for the County Sheriff's Department in Greenville, South Carolina. In 2001 a partnership among the University of South Carolina [USC] Spartanburg, Spartanburg County and the U.S. Army Reserves is on schedule to have playing fields ready for young soccer players this year. Grading and other construction work has been done by the 391st Engineer Battalion, with financial support from Spartanburg County. The project will eventually provide seven fields for soccer programs in the county department of parks and recreation, along with a stadium facility for USCS's nationally respected program in the sport.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|