37th Armor Brigade
The 37th Armored Brigade is the largest combat arms organization in the Ohio Army National Guard. A near self sufficient ready armor force, it maintains Battalions capable of meeting and defeating the enemy on all types of battlefields. The Brigade maintains three maneuver elements; two Armor Battalions (1-107th CAV and 1-147th AR) and one Mechanized Infantry Battalion (1-148th IN). These Battalions are equipped with M1 Abrams main battle tanks, MK-19 automatic grenade launchers, TOW missle systems, M113A2 armored personnel carriers and the full compliment of individual weapons.
The Brigade possesses both direct support elements and combat service support elements in the 1-134th Field Artillery Battalion (which has 155 self-propelled howitzers) and the 237th Forward Support Battalion. The Brigade also Commands and Controls (peacetime only) the 2-107th Cavalry Squadron which has AH-IF Cobra Helicopter gunships, and M1 Abrams main battler tanks. Given these tools, the Brigade is well postured to conduct offensive and defensive combat operations. As of late 1997, the Brigade's manning employed 3,891 soldiers.
The mission of the 37th Armored Brigade is to provide a trained and ready combat force in the first line of national defense that is also ready to conduct federal and state peacetime missions. The 37th Armored Brigade's battle-focus continues to be oriented towards offensive operations.
The 37th Armored Brigade is also tasked with providing units trained and equipped for immediate deployment in support of natural disasters, emergencies and civil disturbances within the State of Ohio. The Headquarters provides command, control and supervision of the tactical operations of the brigade and attached units. The Headquarters Company provides unit administration and logistical support for the Brigade staff sections.
The 37th Armor Brigade was originally constituted on 18 July 1917 in the Ohio National Guard as Headquarters, 37th "Buckeye" Division. It organized on 26 August 1917 at Camp Sheridan, AL, and demobilized on 23 June 1919 at Camp Sherman, OH.
The unit reorganized and was Federally recognized on 31 May 1923 in the Ohio National Guard at Columbus as Headquarters, 37th Division. It was inducted into Federal service on 15 October 1940 at Columbus before being redesignated on 1 February 1942 as Headquarters, 37th Infantry Division and inactivating on 18 December 1945 at Camp Anza, CA.
Reorganized and Federally recognized on 11 November 1946 at Columbus, it was ordered there into active Federal service on 15 January 1952. (Headquarters, 37th Infantry Division [NGUS], was organized and Federally recognized on 15 January 1954 at Columbus). The unit was released on 15 June 1954 from active Federal service and Federal recognition was concurrently withdrawn from Headquarters, 37th Infantry Division (NGUS).
It was reorganized and redesignated on 15 February 1968 as Headquarters, 73rd Brigade, 38th Infantry Division; and on 1 March 1977 as Headquarters, 73rd Infantry Brigade, at which point it was relieved from assignment to the 38th Infantry Division. It was redesignated on 6 September 1992 as Headquarters, 37th Infantry Brigade.
Reorganized and redesignated on 1 September 1993 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 37th Brigade, 28th Infantry Division, it concurrently relocated to North Canton. It was redesignated on 1 September 1994 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 37th Brigade, 38th Infantry Division.
During FY00, the brigade conducted Abrams Tank Gunnery (crew qualification tables) at Camp Grayling, MI, and Camp Ripley, MN. The brigade also conducted maneuver training for its tank, infantry, TOW missile systems and scout platoons. The 1-107th Armor deployed a tank platoon to Hohenfels, Germany, to augment the active Army Opposing Forces (OPFOR) battalion at the Combat Maneuver Training Center (CMTC). The 1-134th Field Artillery conducted both day and night battery-level gunnery at Camp Grayling, MI. The 237th Forward Support Battalion supported all these activities and, for the first time in the brigade's history, operated a doctrinally correct Brigade Support Area. The brigade also worked closely with the 112th Engineer Battalion, which was fully integrated in all operations at annual training. They constructed tank fighting positions and artillery battery defensive firing positions, conducted obstacle breaching operations with the brigade's infantry platoons and completed demolitions and other engineer training.
The 37th also hosted the commander and staff representatives from the 25th Armored Brigade of the Hungarian Home Defense Force and took part in the Battle Command Training Program at Fort Leavenworth, KS, then conducted a Brigade Warfighter Exercise at Camp Atterbury, IN. During this computer-driven command post exercise, the brigade planned and executed both offensive and defensive operations in a scenario based on the Korean peninsula.
In January 2003 approximately 40 members of the 37th Armor Brigade (Columbus) were deployed with the 4th Infantry Division (Mechanized) of Fort Hood,Texas, in support of Operation Enduring Freedom.
About 1,000 Ohio Army National Guard soldiers mobilized in June 2004 for for four months of training prior to a six-month deployment to Kosovo as peacekeepers. Included in the group are 100 members of the Headquarters and Headquarters Company 37th Armor Brigade out of the armory at Akron-Canton Airport. A total of more than 1,000 soldiers in a dozen units across Ohio have been mobilized for the assignment on the NATO-led peacekeeping force in Kosovo. The soldiers first trained at Camp Atterbury, IN., followed by more training in Germany. The soldiers arrived in Kosovo in September 2004.
In late February 2005 the Ohio Army National Guard welcomed home several units that mobilized in June 2004 in support of NATO peace operations in Kosovo. Public ceremonies were conducted for a number of units.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|