Find a Security Clearance Job!

Military


321st Civil Affairs Brigade

The 321st Civil Affairs Brigade was first constituted on 25 August 1945 in the Army of the United States as the 101st Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, Military Government Group and activated on 26 August 1945 at the Presidio of Monterey, California. The unit was inactivated on 25 January 1949 in Korea.

The unit was redesignated on 4 August 1955 as the 321st Military Government Group and allotted to the Army Reserve. It was activated on 16 September 1955 at Albuquerque, New Mexico. The unit was reorganized and redesignated on 15 October 1956 as the 321st Civil Affairs and Military Government Group and on 20 October 1959 as the 321st Civil Affairs Group. Its location was changed 27 March 1963 to San Antonio, Texas.

The unit was reorganized and redesignated on 16 September 1992 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 321st Civil Affairs Brigade

The Brigade's shoulder sleeve insignia was authorized on 4 March 1993. Purple and white were the colors traditionally associated with Civil Affairs units. Gold is symbolic of excellence and achievements. The partly sheathed demi-sword and scabbard reflected the Brigade's mission, both during and subsequent to hostilities.

The distinctive unit insignia had originally been approved for the 321st Civil Affairs Group on 23 June 1971. It was amended to change the motto on 5 May 1987. The insignia was redesignated for the 321st Civil Affairs Brigade, with description and symbolism revised, on 4 March 1993. A gold color metal and enamel device, consisting of a white open scroll with ends rolled at top and bottom and having across its center a representation of the Alamo in gold and in front of it a white quill pen crossing from upper right to lower left the point down and having a purple scroll looped around it starting from the lower left and ending at the lower right of the building, the scroll inscribed "PEACE THRU UNITY" in gold. Purple and white were colors associated with Civil Affairs organizations. The scroll was symbolic of legal documents and the quill pen stands for authority and justice. The Alamo (originally the Church of Mission San Antonio de Valero) had throughout its history played a major role in the Civil Affairs of San Antonio, Texas where the unit had its headquarters.

Elements of the Brigade were ordered into active military service on 23 January 1995 at San Antonio, Texas. They were released from active military service on 21 July 1995 and reverted to reserve status. Elements of the Brigade were ordered into active military service between 19 May-16 June 1996 at San Antonio, Texas. They were released from active military service on 1 February 1997 and reverted to reserve status. Elements of the Brigade were ordered into active military service between 30 November and 6 December 1997 at San Antonio, Texas. They were released from active military service between 26 August and 1 September 1998 and reverted to reserve status.

A detachment of the Brigade was called into active military service on 27 March 2003 at San Antonio, Texas. The remainder of the Brigade's Headquarters and Headquarters Company was ordered into active military service on 1 June 2003 at San Antonio, Texas. The detachment was released from active military service on 25 March 2004 and reverted to reserve status. The remainder of the Brigade's Headquarters and Headquarters Company was released from active military service on 30 May 2004 and reverted to reserve status.

Elements of the Brigade were ordered into active military service on 18 April 2005 at San Antonio, Texas. They were released from active military service between 4 July 2006 and 17 April 2007 and reverted to reserve status.




NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list