303rd Military Intelligence Battalion (Collection)
303rd Military Intelligence Battalion (Operations)
The mission of the 303rd Military Intelligence Battalion, "Longhorns," is to, on order, conduct multi-disciplined intelligence collection, exploitation, and limited analysis operations in support of the commander's information requirements during world-wide contingency missions within assigned areas of a Division, Corps, or Joint Task Force area of operations.
The 303rd Military Intelligence Battalion was first constituted on 22 September 1950 in the Regular Army as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 303rd Communication Reconnaissance Battalion and activated on 25 September 1950 at Arlington Hall, Virginia. Deployed to Korea, the unit's mission was to provide communications support to units there. The Battalion landed at Inchon in January 1951 and operated in support of Eighth Army.
The unit was consolidated on 17 July 1951 with the 540th Signal Service Company. The 540th Signal Service Company had been first constituted on 12 April 1944 in the Army of the United States as the 3253rd Signal Service Company and activated on 25 April 1944 in England. it was inactivated on 25 January 1946 at Camp Kilmer, New Jersey. It was redesignated on 6 May 1948 as the 540th Signal Service Company and activated on 20 June 1948 in Austria. It was inactivated on 1 April 1949 in Austria. During World War II, this unit's mission had been to gain intelligence from the interception of radio communications between German forces opposing Allied opertions in France. The consolidated unit was designated as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 303rd Communication Reconnaissance Battalion. The Battalion was inactivated on 25 June 1955 in Korea.
While inactive, the Battalion was redesignated on 11 May 1962 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 303rd Army Security Agency Battalion with its organic elements concurrently constituted. It was activated on 15 June 1962 at Camp Wolters, Texas. The Battalion was deployed to Long Binh, South Vietnam in May 1966. There it provided cryptological intelligence and electronic warfare support to Field Force Vietnam. Companies A, B, and C were reorganized and redesignated on 15 October 1966 as the 372nd, 373rd, and 374th Army Security Agency Companies, which thereafter had separate lineages. On 15 June 1971, the unit was redeployed back to the US to Fort Hood, Texas.
Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 303rd Army Security Agency Battalion was reorganized and redesignated on 21 April 1978 as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 303rd Military Intelligence Battalion. The 376th Army Security Agency Company and 370th Army Security Agency Company were concurrently reorganized and redesignated as Companies A and B. The 376th Army Security Agency Company had been first constituted on 20 February 1968 in the Regular Army as the 376th Army Security Agency Company and activated on 1 April 1968 at Fort Bragg, North Carolina. It was inactivated there on 30 June 1974 at Fort Bragg, North Carolina, but reactivated on 1 July 1974 at Fort George G. Meade, Maryland. The 370th Army Security Agency Company had been first constituted on 10 January 1967 in the Regular Army as the 370th Army Security Agency Company and activated on 1 March 1967 at Vint Hill Farms Station, Virginia.
On 16 April 1982, the 303rd Military Intelligence Battalion was designated to provide intelligence, electronic warfare, and intelligence communications support to III Corps. It subsequently became part of the 504th Military Intelligence Brigade, the III Corps military intelligence brigade.
The 303rd Military Intelligence Battalion deployed in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom on 3 occasions since the begining of that operation in 2003, the last deployment coming in 2009. Elements of the Battalion were also deployed to Afghanistan in support of Operation Enduring Freedom between 2008 and 2009. By 2010, the 268th Signal Company and the 509th Support Company had been attached to the Battalion for administrative control while in garrison. These units were designed to support the operations of the entire 504th Military Intelligence Brigade.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|