302nd Brigade Support Battalion
302nd Forward Support Battalion
The mission of the 302nd Brigade Support Battalion is to, on order, transition to war and provide combat service support to the 1st Brigade Combat Team, defend the Brigade Support Area and defeat level I threats. As part of the transformation of the 2nd Infantry Division to the US Army's new modular force structure, beginning in 2005, each modular brigade would recive a brigade-level organic support battalion. Previously these assets had been held at division level and task organized during operations. 302nd Forward Support Battalion was inactivated and reactivated as the 302nd Brigade Support Battalion, part of the 1st Heavy Brigade Combat Team, 2nd Infantry Division. The 2nd Infantry Division's Support Command was subsequently inactivated.
The 302nd was a Brigade Support Battalion, consisting of a Headquarters and Headquarters Company, Supply Company, Maintenance Company, Medical Company, and 4 Forward Support Companies. Each of the forward support companies were attached to one of the brigades maneuver units. All of the Battalion's companies play an integral role in supporting the 1st Heavy Brigade Combat Team and the 2nd Infantry Division. The 302nd Brigade Support Battalion was located at Camp Casey, Korea.
The mission of the previous 302nd Forward Support Battalion was to, on order, transition to war, occupy Tactical Assembly Area, and provide Combat Service Support to the 1st Brigade Combat Team and attached units. The unit was also tasked with defending the Brigade Support Area and defeat Level I Threats. With the attached 4th Chemical Company, its provided NBC reconnaissance, decontamination and smoke operations for the Division. The 302nd Forward Support Battalion consisted of a Headquarters and Supply Company, Maintenance Company, Medical Company, and a Chemical Company.
The 302nd Brigade Support Battalion traces its origin directly from the School of Instruction Hospital Corps, Washington Barracks, Washington DC, which was organized in 1894. In 1904, the School was redesignated as Company A, Hospital Corps. In October 1906, Company A joined the Cuban Expeditionary Brigade as Field hospital #2, and remained in Cuba for approximately 2 years. In November 1908, it returned to the United States and was stationed at Fort D.A. Russail, Wyoming. In March 1911, the Company A was reorganized and was redesignated as Field Hospital #2 and Ambulance Company. In June 1916, both units were transferred to Fort Bliss, Texas, where they remained until November 1917.
In November 1917, Field Hospital Company #2 and Ambulance Company sailed for France as part of the 2nd Sanitary Train. They joined the 2nd Infantry Division at Bourmont, France. The exact date it joined the 2nd Sanitary Train was not recorded. The first reference was a letter of instruction from the Adjutant General's Office, dated 22 September 1917, which designated certain Ambulance Companies and Field Hospital as components of the 2nd Sanitary Train. The headquarters of the 2nd Sanitary Train was not organized until August 1918 in France. The 2nd Sanitary Train served with the 2nd Infantry Division in France until the Armistice signing on 11 November 1919. During the Army of Occupation they were stationed in Engers, Germany, from 10 December 1918 until 23 April 1919. It returned to the United States 10 August 1919 and proceeded to Camp Travis, Texas, closing all elements 18 August 1919.
In 1921, the 2nd Sanitary Train reorganized into 2nd Medical Regiment. It consisted of 3 Ambulance Companies and 3 Hospital Companies, a Service Company (Company G), and a Veterinary Company.
The 2nd medical Regiment was reorganized and designated in 10 October 1939 as the 2nd Medical Battalion, in accordance with the triangular organization of the 2nd Infantry Division. It consisted of a Headquarters Detachment, 3 Collecting Companies, and one Clearing Company.
The Battalion was stationed at Fort Sam Houston, Texas, in 1941, when war was declared on Japan, Germany and Italy. The unit received extensive training which terminated at Camp McCoy, Wisconsin, on 3 October 1943, when it departed for overseas. It arrived at Belfast, Northern Ireland on 17 April 1944. It moved to Camp Penalty, Wales on 19 April 1944, where it was notified that the 2nd Infantry Division would participate in landing on the European Continent.
On 7 June 1944 (D-Day+1), Companies A and C landed on Omaha Beach, followed by Company B on 9 June 1944 and Headquarters Detachment on 11 June 1944. During WWII the battalion actively participated in 24 battles on the continent and is entitled to full honors for 5 battle campaigns. The end of World War II found the battalion at Pilsen, Czechoslovakia. The Battalion returned to the United States and reassembled at Camp Swift, Texas and then moved to Fort Lewis, Washington in April 1946.
On 14 May 1948, Company B, 2nd Medical Battalion was activated at Fort Richardson, Alaska, to support the 3rd Task Force. It continued this support both in the field and garrison until disbanded and reorganized 15 October 1948.
On 10 July 1950, the Battalion was alerted for immediate shipment to the Far East Command. Platoons of the Ambulance and Clearing Companies were attached to the 3 Infantry Regiments in the 2nd Infantry Division. The Battalion participated in the Korean Conflict from 1950 through to the early part of 1954.
The Battalion returned to the United States on 20 August 1954 and again was stationed at Fort Lewis, Washington, until 16 December 1957 when it was transferred, less personnel and equipment, to Department of Army Control pending reorganization.
The Battalion was reorganized in June 1958 at Fort Benning, Georgia, with the transfer of personnel and equipment, from the 10th Mountain Division, which was concurrently deactivated. After the Battalion's reorganization, the 2nd Medical Battalion provided medical support for the 2nd Infantry Division, following the Division to Korea in 1965.
The 2nd Medical Battalion was reorganized as the 302nd Forward Support Battalion on 17 October 1989 and supported the 1st Brigade Combat Team, 2nd Infantry Division on Camp Casey. It was not organic to the 1st Brigade, being assigned to the Division Support Command, 2nd Infantry Division when the Brigade was not engaged in operations.
In December 2004, the Battalion began its transformation into a new unit of action. This was a product of the transformation of the 2nd Infantry Division to the US Army's new modular force structure and involved realigning and redistributing resources, changing MTOEs, and forming 4 new Forward Support Companies. Under the modular force structure, previously division level assets were made organic to the division's brigades, including support elements. These Forward Support Companies were both located with and attached to their supported maneuver units, ensuring high quality, responsive Combat Service Support enhanced by the familiarity of a long-term relationship. On 15 April 2005, the Battalion was officially redesignated as the 302nd Brigade Support Battalion supporting the newly designated 1st Heavy Brigade Combat Team, 2nd Infantry Division. The 4th Chemical Company was reassigned to the 1st Brigade Special Troops Battalion on 21 June 2005.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|