3-47th Infantry Regiment
The mission of the 2-47th is to execute Basic combat Training Program Of Instruction (POI) to standard in order to produce the best Soldiers prepared for Advanced Individual Training (AIT).
The Raider Regiment was first organized on 1 June 1917 as Company C, 47th Infantry, in Syracuse, New York. The Raiders served with distinction in WWI and served as an occupation force in Austria at the war's end; the Regiment was deactivated in 1921.
In 1940 the Regiment was reactivated as part of the 9th Infantry Division and conducted amphibious training. It participated in one of the fiercest battles of WWII, El Guettar, and also at Utah beach as part of the Normandy invasion. The Raiders then pushed inland to the Rhine River where they secured the bridgehead at Remagen; during these engagements, PFC Carl Sheridan was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor for his actions at Frenzenberg Castle.
At the war's end, the Regiment took over the Dachau concentration camp and served as part of the occupation force until it was deactivated in 1946. Activated again in 1947, the Regiment returned to Germany to serve with NATO forces. In 1966, the Raiders were redesignated as the 2nd Battalion, 47th Infantry Regiment, Fort Riley, Kansas. One year later, the Raiders deployed to the Republic of Vietnam and were key players in three of the 9th Division's biggest achievements: finding the largest enemy munitions cache, defeating enemy attacks at Long Binh during the Tet offensive, and stopping the second wave invasion attempt in southern Siagon. During these engagements, George C. Lang was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|