3rd Squadron, 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment
3rd Squadron, 2nd Armored Cavalry Regiment (Light)
3rd Squadron, 2nd Armored Cavalry Regiment
The 3rd Squadron, 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment's mission is to deploy rapidly to a designated theater, conduct full spectrum operations in a designated contingency area as separate regiment or under the control of a contingency force and redeploy to home station.
Until May 1942, 3rd Squadron was assigned as part of the 2nd Cavalry Regiment. On 15 May 1942, the 2nd Cavalry was moved to Camp Funston, Fort Riley, Kansas, and redesignated the 2nd Armored Cavalry Regiment, as part of the 9th Armored Division. 3rd Squadron was reequipped with medium Tanks, and became the Regiment's 3rd Battalion. In June 1943, the Regiment was renamed the 2nd Cavalry Group, Mechanized. In October 1943, 3rd Battalion was renamed the 19th Tank Battalion and relieved of assignment to the 2nd Cavalry Group. It was reassigned to Combat Command A of the 9th Armored Division and fought with this unit throughout World War II.
The 19th Tank Battalion (Medium), arrived in the European Theater of Operations on 3 October 1944. It was moved to a quiet sector of the front in the Ardennes-Eiffel region where it was employed to patrol the sector of Major General Middleton's VIII Corps. The Battalion remained in this region throughout October and November 1944 to gain combat experience. During this time both of the VIII Corps' full strength Infantry Divisions were withdrawn and replaced by the inexperienced 106th Infantry Division and the 4th and 28th Infantry Divisions. Both the 4th and 28th Infantry Divisions had seen heavy combat in the Heurtgen Forest and suffered heavy losses. Additionally, Combat Command B of the 9th Armored Division was temporarily assigned to V Corps to act as a reserve. This was the situation when the Germans appeared out of the mist on 16 December 1944.
Early on the 16 December 1944, the Infantry regiments of the 267th Volksgrenadier Division crossed the Sauer River and attacked the 60th Armored Infantry Battalion. At this time the 19th Tank Battalion was in the vicinity of Ermsdorf as part of the Tactical Reserve. During the next 4 days, until 20 December 1944, the companies of the Battalion defended in widely scattered areas helping stall the attack of the 267th Volksgrenadier Division. During the evening of 20 December 1944, the 19th Tank Battalion was ordered south to assist the hard-pressed 12th Infantry Regiment in the vicinity of Osweiler. It fought in this area against elements of the 212th Volksgrenadier Division until early 22 December 1944. From that time until it was withdrawn on 30 December 1944 for refit, the 19th Tank Battalion participated in counter-attacks alongside units of the Third US Army, which stopped the German offensive. During the "Battle of the Bulge," the 19th Tank Battalion distinguished itself by it's fierce defense on the southern flank of VIII Corps, and during the US Counter-Offensive.
Throughout January and February 1945, the 19th Tank Battalion rehabilitated and trained in preparation for the drive into Germany. Also during this time the 9th Armored Division was placed under the command of III Corps. On 28 February 1945, the Battalion attacked across the Roer River in the Soller region as part of Combat Command A. It helped clear strong resistance in Wollersheim and Lanendorf on 2 March 1945. Continuing to advance along with the rest of Combat Command A, the 19th Tank Battalion crossed the Roth River and established a bridgehead at Friesheim for the follow-on elements of 9th Armored Division. On 4 March 1945, the Battalion advanced to Euskirchen along the Erft River and prepare to advance to the Rhine.
At this time the Lundendorff Railroad Bridge was the only bridge still standing that could handle heavy vehicles. The bridge was located at a town called Remagen. The Battalion helped capture the bridge and establish a firm bridgehead on the east bank of the Rhine River where it was joined the next day by the rest of the 9th Armored Division. After some reconsolidation the Battalion attacked across the Lahn River at Diez on 26 March 1945 and by 31 March 1945 had established a bridgehead across the Diemel River in the Warburg area. Here it stopped a counter-attack by the 10th Infantry Division and prepared for further offensive operations.
On 10 April 1945, the 9th Armored Division, along with the 19th Tank Battalion, attacked through the 2nd and 69th Infantry Divisions and spearheaded the drive on the Saale River, crossing it on 12 April 1945. The next day Combat Command A reached the Weisse River near Pegau and consolidated. After heavy combat in the Borna Area against elements of the German 1st Parachute Army, the Battalion advanced to and cleared Coldiz. It then helped mop up along the Mulde River until moved into V Corps reserve on 12 April 1945. On 29 April 1945, the 19th Tank Battalion moved to Jena with the rest of the 9th Armored Division. On 3 May 1945, the 19th Tank Battalion was detached to the 1st Infantry Division along with the rest of Combat Command A for the drive on Karlsbad in Czechoslovakia. On 6 May 1945, it attacked down the Cheb-Falknov Road and was in Rudolec when hostilities were ended on 7 May 1945.
In May 2003, the 2nd Armored Cavalry Regiment deployed as a whole to Iraq as part of Operation Iraqi Freedom. By 9 November 2003, the Wolfpack had conducted 4000 missions for the Coalition Provisional Authority in Iraq since beginning the mission on 7 June 2003. Wolfpack troopers continued the mission supporting the CPA. They had been deployed over 6 months, and seen many changes. The standard of living was markedly better. Baghdad had electrical power. Schools were open. Markets were busy, and Iraqis were getting on with their lives. The enemy wais persistent, but their attacks were ineffective. Wolfpack troopers continued high tempo operations.
On 19 August 2003, following the bombing of the United Nations Headquarters building in Baghdad, personnel from the 3rd Squadron, 2nd Armored Cavalry Regiment responded to the scene and were tasked with most of the evacuations and immediate casualty assistance for UN personnel injured in the attack. In this, they received assistnce from the 2nd Armored Cavalry Regiments's support squadron.
In late 2003, the 3rd Squadron conducted gunnery training at a range 40 kilometers east of Baghdad. There the troopers fired rifles, machine guns and anti-tank weapons at a variety of targets. It was a welcome break from daily missions, and a confidence builder for the crews. K Troop was the first to shoot, and I Troop fired after they had finished. The support platoon spent 2 days on the range, culminating in a convoy live-fire exercise on 8 November 2003.
By 20 January 2004, the Squadron continued high tempo operations in support of the Coalition Provisional Authority, the Nation's main effort in Iraq. 3rd Squadron conducted 4,253 missions for CPA in the city of Baghdad and across Iraq. 568 missions were long-range patrols as far north as Irbil, south to Nasiryiah, and west to Ramadi. Average mileage per HMMWV in December 2003 exceeded 1,100 miles.
3rd Squadron conducted 2-weeks of training for the battle staff of the 302nd Iraqi Civil Defense Corps (ICDC) Battalion. The mission to train ICDC staff was one of the Squadron's most important missions in Iraq and had positive long-term consequences for establishing a free and democratic Iraq. The staff did a superb job developing a program of instruction, and instructor and student materials in both Arabic and English. The program of instruction had become the standard for other units to use.
Following its redeployment from Iraq, the 2nd Armored Cavalry Regiment began transformation to the a Stryker Brigade Combat Team, being reactivated in 2006 as the 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment. As part of this reorgnaization, the 3 maneuver squadrons were reduced to 3 troops, with the howitzer battery being reassigned to a new FIRES Squadron at Regiment level. Keeping with the tradition of troops following in alphabetical order through the Regiment's squadrons, 2nd Squadron's troops subsequently became G-I, with K and M troops being inactivated and reactivated as part of the 4th Squadron. The Regiment as a whole also subsequently redeployed to Rose Barraks, Vilseck Germany, being reassigned to V Corps, as part of US Army Europe.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|