280th Signal Battalion
The 280th Signal Battalion is a dual state (Delaware and Connecticut) National Guard, DGM/TRI-TAC area Signal Battalion.
Soldiers from the 280th Signal Battalion, 261st Signal Brigade, Delaware Army National Guard, provided unprecedented communications support to Petroleum Exercise (POLEX) '99 from 12 June 99 to 26 June 99. In support of this large Echelon Above Corps (EAC) exercise, the 280 th used a mix of both tactical and commercial communications networks to provide service to over 2500 geographically disbursed subscribers located at numerous sites between Fort Devens, Massachusetts and Fort Pickett, Virginia. The 280 th accomplished this feat using its organic Digital Group Multiplexer/Tri-Service Tactical Communications (DGM/TRI-TAC) equipment, leased high speed commercial telecommunications circuits (i.e. T1 lines) and the CODEM TTI-1000 network Access System (NAS). In providing this support the 280 th achieved a Signal Corps first by becoming the first unit to connect AN/TTC-39A trunks over commercial T1 circuits using CODEM-TTI-1000 equipment.
Soldiers from 261st Signal Brigade, Dover, Del., and its subordinate units commenced Grecian Firebolt 2001 largest peacetime, global communications exercise in the world. Active Army, Reserve, and Army and Air National Guard units connecting 28 locations throughout the US and Asia highlight the "Total Force Integration" concept using high communications technology. Its subordinate units worked together in support of east coast operations and include: the Delaware National Guard's 280th Signal Battalion and the 259th Tropo, as well as the Active Army's 63rd Signal Battalion, from Fort Gordon, Ga., and two Air National Guard combat communications units. GF01 is also designed to test and develop the deployment of a combat-ready global Signal force to engineer, install, operate and maintain communications systems capable of handling large volumes of voice, data and video traffic. The 280th Signal Battalion is supporting the 475th Quartermaster Battalion with field telephones to talk over their tactical system during their POLEX training.
Company C, 280th Signal Battalion was organized and Federally recognized on July 8, 1936 as the in the Delaware National Guard. Radio operator-maintainers supervise, install, operate, and perform preventive maintenance checks and services and unit level maintenance on assigned amplitude modulation radios, Enhanced Position Locating and Reporting System net control stations, radio teletypewriter assemblages, and Army Special Operations communications systems, to include communication security devices and associated equipment. Operates manual or automated communications systems. Operates and performs preventive maintenance checks and services on assigned vehicles and power generators.
D Company, 280th Signal Battalion, traces its history back to the 43d Signal Company (an element of the 43d Division), which was organized in 1923. In 1959, under the pentomic division realignment of the National Guard, the 43d Signal Company was reconstituted as the 107th Signal Electric Company. Shortly thereafter, the units name was shortened to the 107th Signal Company. In October, 1961, the unit was activated and sent to Fort Sill, Oklahoma for support during the Berlin Crisis, being returned to state control in 1963. In October, 1968, the unit was again called, this time for Vietnam, and holds the distinction of being the only Rhode Island unit serving overseas for the Vietnam War at Long Binh. On 1 June 1979, the unit officially changed it's designation to Company D, 280th Signal Battalion (Headquartered in the Delaware National Guard). In July of 1990, the unit's location was changed to the Middletown Armory. The unit was officially disbanded on 1 September 1993. The unit was not reorganized and has no further history.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|