Military


1st Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 25th Infantry Division
1st Brigade, 25th Infantry Division
"Arctic Wolves"
"Lancers" / "First to Strike"

The mission of the 1st Stryker Brigade Combat Team, "Arctic Wolves," is to, on order, deploy rapidly to a designated contingency area of operation by air and conducts operations either as a separate Brigade Combat Team or under the control of a contingency force headquarters. The 1st Stryker Brigade Combat Team, consistd of the 1-5th Infantry, 1-24th Infantry, 3-21st Infantry, D/52nd Infantry, 2-8th Artillery, 25th Brigade Support Battalion, 73rd Engineer Company, 184th Military Intelligence Company, and 176th Signal Company. It also initially included the 2nd Squadron, 14th Cavalry Regiment, which was later inactivated and its personnel reflagged as the 5th Squadron, 1st Cavalry.

The Headquarters and Headquarter Company, 1st Brigade Combat Team, 25th Infantry Division was first constituted on 5 August 1917 in the National Army as Headquarters, 167th Infantry Brigade, and assigned to the 84th Division. It was organized on 25 August 1917 at Camp Zachary Taylor, Kentucky and demobilized there in February 1919.

It was reconstituted on 24 June 1921 in the Organized Reserves as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 167th Infantry Brigade, and assigned to the 84th Division. It was organized in November 1921 in southern Indiana. The unit was redesignated on 23 March 1925 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 167th Brigade and again on 24 August 1936 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 167th Infantry Brigade.

It was converted and redesignated on 23 February 1942 as the 84th Reconnaissance Troop (less 3rd Platoon), 84th Division. The Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 168th Infantry Brigade, was concurrently converted and redesignated as the 3rd Platoon, 84th Reconnaissance Troop, 84th Division. The troop was ordered into active military service on 15 October 1942 and reorganized at Camp Howze, Texas as the 84th Cavalry Reconnaissance Troop, an element of the 84th Infantry Division. It was reorganized and redesignated on 12 August 1943 as the 84th Reconnaissance Troop, Mechanized.

The 84th Infantry Division entered combat in Holland in November 1944. In response to the German counterattack in the Ardennes, the 84th Infantry Division was shifted to Belgium to help stop the German advance. Driving into Germany and meeting strong German resistance, the 84th Infantry Division crossed the Roer and Rhine Rivers, advanced to the Elbe River, and linked up with Soviet forces on 2 May 1945. After World War II, the 84th Reconnaissance Troop was inactivated on 24 January 1946 at Camp Kilmer, New Jersey.

While inactive, it was redesignated on 19 December 1946 as the 84th Mechanized Cavalry Reconnaissance Platoon, an element of the 84th Airborne Division. The unit was reactivated on 11 June 1947. The Organized Reserves were redesignated on 25 March 1948 as the Organized Reserve Corps and again on 9 July 1952 as the Army Reserve. The unit was reorganized and redesignated on 6 April 1948 as the Reconnaissance Platoon, 84th Airborne Division.

The unit was reorganized and redesignated on 29 March 1951 as the 84th Airborne Reconnaissance Company, an element of the 84th Airborne Division. The unit was reorganized and redesignated on 1 March 1952 as the 84th Reconnaissance Company, an element of the 84th Infantry Division. Its location was concurrently changed to Appleton, Wisconsin. Its location ws changed again on 18 May 1953 to Wausau, Wisconsin. It was disbanded on 18 May 1959 at Wausau, Wisconsin. The unit was concurrently reconstituted (less 3rd Platoon) in the Regular Army as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 167th Infantry Brigade. 3rd Platoon, 84th Reconnaissance Company thereafter had separate lineage.

The unit was redesignated on 21 June 1963 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 1st Brigade, 25th Infantry Division and activated on 26 August 1963 at Schofield Barracks, Hawaii. Arriving in Vietnam on 29 April 1966, the 1st Brigade, 25th Infantry Division was based initially at Cu Chi and participated in all 12 campaigns of the 25th Division, receiving a Valorous Unit Award for Tay Ninh Province. The Battalions serving with the 1st Brigade were the 4-9th Infantry, 2-14th Infantry (until February 1970), 3-22nd Infantry (from February 1970) and 4-23rd Infantry (Mechanized). The 1st Brigade departed Vietnam on 8 December 1970 and was stationed at Schofield Barracks.

In December 1994, the Army announced the reflagging of brigades in Alaska and Fort Lewis, Washington. The 1st Brigade, 7th Infantry Division (Light), often called the 9th Infantry Regiment (Manchus), at Fort Lewis, was reflagged as the 1st Brigade of the 25th Infantry Division (Light). As a result, the 25th Infantry Division (Light) consisted of a headquarters and 2 brigades at Schofield Barracks, Hawaii, and one brigade at Fort Lewis, Washington.

On 16 August 1995 the 1st Brigade was reassigned to Fort Lewis, Washington. This was the first time in the history of the 25th Division that a major organic component of the Division was serving in the continental United States. At the time, the unit consisted of the 1-5th Infantry, the 5-20th Infantry, the 1-24th Infantry, along with the 2-8th Field Artillery and 25th Forward Support Battalion attached.

The 3rd Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division, and the 1st Brigade, 25th Infantry Division, both of which belonged to I Corps at Fort Lewis, Washington were identified in November 1999 as the first 2 brigades to make the transition into lighter, more mobile units capable of deploying within 96 hours. Each brigade combat team would function with about 3,700 soldiers.

The bulk of the new brigades would be 3 mechanized infantry battalions and a reconnaissance intelligence, surveillance, and target acquisition squadron, otherwise known as a "RSTA." The 4 units would account for about 75 percent of a brigade combat team, which would not only be able to participate in major theater wars, but quickly provide regional stability to "hot spots" throughout the world, including those in urban terrain. The Army's new brigade combat teams would have less soldiers and a different look (including lots of infantry, lots of mortars, and lots of snipers), but the units would be more than capable of doing the job they've been designed to do. The initial brigade combat teams would have a more robust and varied intelligence capability, from the military intelligence company down to the company level. This was not the brigade that would find the fight by bumping into it. These Stryker Brigade Combat Teams would eventually become part of an entirely new modular force structure in the US Army.

On 16 September 2000, the 5th Battalion, 20th Infantry was reassigned to the 3rd Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division at Fort Lewis, Washington. The 1st Brigade, 25th Infantry Division (Light) received a battalion to replace the 5-20th in the spring of 2002.

In October 2004, the 1st Brigade Combat Team, 25th Infantry Division replaced the 3rd Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division in Iraq, which had deployed in November 2003. The 1st Brigade Combat Team distinguished itself in the conduct of extensive combat operations against insurgent forces, as well as in stability initiatives in and around the city of Mosul. The unit was reorganized and redesignated on 27 July 2005 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 1st Brigade Combat Team, 25th Infantry Division. The Brigade returned to Fort Lewis, Washington in September 2005.

On 1 June 2006 at Fort Lewis, Washington, a large Army reflagging ceremony occurred. The 1st Brigade, 25th Infantry's colors were cased, the colors of the 2nd Cavalry Regiment were transferred, and the 4th Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division colors were uncased. Two respected military units conducted a joint reflagging ceremony at Gray Army Airfield. The 1st Brigade, 25th Infantry Division was inactivated to be reflagged as 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment. 2nd Cavalry Regiment, in turn, was reflagged and joined the 2nd Infantry Division, activating as the Indianhead Division's 4th Brigade Combat Team. The 1st Brigade Combat Team, 25th Infantry Division was temporarily inactive from June to October 2006. Effective 14 December 2006, the 1st Brigade Combat Team, 25th Infantry Division was reactivated at Fort Wainwright, Alaska, with 172nd Infantry Brigade (Separate) being reflagged.



NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list