240th Quartermaster Battalion (Petroleum Operating)
The 240th Quartermaster Battalion was originally constituted on 13 January 1941 in the Regular Army as the 240th Quartermaster Battalion. It activated on 1 June 1941 at Camp Livingston, LA. The unit reorganized and was redesignated on 16 June 1942 as the 240th Quartermaster Service Battalion.
The Battalion was broken up on 15 February 1944 and its elements reorganized and redesignated as follows: Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 240th Quartermaster Battalion (Companies A, B, C, and D as the 3250th, 3251st, 3252d, and 3253d Quartermaster Service Companies - hereafter separate lineages). Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 240th Quartermaster Battalion, inactivated on 22 November 1945 in France.
The unit activated on 1 June 1966 at Fort Lee, VA. It reorganized and was redesignated on 15 April 1971 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 240th Quartermaster Battalion.
The 240th Quartermaster Battalion is the parent unit of two of only three units within the U.S. Army which can design, construct, and operate up to ninety miles of high pressure petroleum pipeline in conjunction with a tactical petroleum terminal to receive, issue and store bulk petroleum products in a wartime environment. These units are the 109th Quartermaster Company and the 267th Quartermaster Company. The final third unit is the 19th Quartermaster at Fort Story, Virginia Beach, VA.
The 240th Quartermaster Battalion, based at Fort Lee, VA, deployed to provide bulk and retail fuel for all United States participants in Egypt in October 2001 for Exercise Bright Star. Fuel requirements and customers varied in this annual logistics exercise for thousands of multinational participants. The battalion's 58th Quartermaster Company operated a 300,000-gallon capacity Fuel System Supply Point (FSSP) for JP-8 and a 30,000-gallon site for MOGAS. Fuel from these sites provided power for everything from the smallest of generators to the largest of weapons such as the M1A1 Abrams tank.
Before the collapsible fuel tank farm was fully operational, the 58th demonstrated its versatility by using a fleet of 5,000-gallon tankers to distribute, or "push," fuel to user units. The 58th also ran a small petroleum tank farm that fueled the Mubarak Military Complex prime power grid, as well as providing fuel for the 14th Field Hospital's MEDEVAC aircraft. Before transferring any fuel from Egyptian contractors, the 240th mobile laboratory tested for suitability of use by US equipment. The active Army has only two such fuel labs.
The 240th also served as the "mayoral" unit at Pyramid Log Base, a task normally suited for a combat support battalion. The 240th furnished life support for nearly 1,200 soldiers. The battalion's 267th Quartermaster Company provided force protection and managed a consolidated dining facility, showers, laundry, a tactical field exchange, and a morale, welfare and recreation site.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|