205th Infantry Brigade (Training Support)
205th Infantry Brigade (Separate) (Light)
"Star of the North Brigade"
The 205th Infantry Brigade's primary focus is Army post-mobilization training of US Army forces bound to support various operations as part of Division East, First US Army. Headquartered at Camp Atterbury, Indiana, the Brigade also trains units at other locations to ensure their combat readiness. The 205th Infantry Brigade is a Multi-Component Team consisting of Active, Reserve, and National Guard soldiers and Department of the Army civilians.
The 205th Infantry Brigade was first constituted on 24 June 1921 in the Organized Reserves as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 205th Infantry Brigade, and assigned to the 103rd Division. The Brigade was organized in November 1921 at Warren, Arizona. It was redesignated on 23 March 1925 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 205th Brigade and again on 24 August 1936 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 205th Infantry Brigade.
The 205th Infantry Brigade was converted and redesignated on 11 February 1942 as the 103rd Reconnaissance Troop (less 3rd Platoon), 103rd Division. Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 206th Infantry Brigade was concurrently converted and redesignated as the 3rd Platoon, 103rd Reconnaissance Troop, 103rd Division. The Troop was ordered into active military service on 15 November 1942 and reorganized at Camp Claiborne, Louisiana, as the 103rd Cavalry Reconnaissance Troop, an element of the 103rd Infantry Division. The Troop wa reorganized and redesignated on 8 August 1943 as the 103rd Reconnaissance Troop, Mechanized. Deploying to the European Theater of Operations, the Troop served in 3 campaigns during the Second World War: Rhineland, Ardennes-Alsace, and Central Europe. Following the end of the Second World War, the Troop was inactivated on 22 September 1945 at Camp Patrick Henry, Virginia.
The Troop was redesignated on 15 April 1947 as the 103d Mechanized Cavalry Reconnaissance Troop and activated on 28 April 1947 at Council Bluffs, Iowa. An element of the Organized Reserves, the Troop remained assigned to that organization as it was first redesignated on 25 March 1948 as the Organized Reserve Corps and then on 9 July 1952 as the Army Reserve. The Troop was reorganized and redesignated on 25 November 1949 as the 103rd Reconnaissance Company. It was inactivated on 18 May 1959 at Council Bluffs, Iowa.
The Troop was converted and redesignated (less 3rd Platoon) on 1 February 1963 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 205th Infantry Brigade, and relieved from assignment to the 103rd Infantry Division. It was concurrently activated at Fort Snelling, Minnesota. 3rd Platoon, 103rd Reconnaissance Company was concurrently redesignated as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 206th Infantry Brigade, which thereafter had a separate lineage.
This change was the product of a Defense Department decision in late 1962 to approve reorganizing Army Reserve units. In the Army Reserve some former divisional units assigned to the 79th, 94th, 96th, and 103rd Infantry Divisions were used to organize 4 brigades, which added flexibility to the force, as well as provided 4 general officer reserve billets. In January and February 1963, the 157th, 187th, 191st, and 205th Infantry Brigades were organized with headquarters in Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, Montana, and Minnesota, respectively. As with the Regular Army brigades, the number and type of maneuver elements in each Army Reserve brigade varied.
As part of the Army of Excellence force structure which the US Army adopted in the 1980s, the unit was converted to a seperate light infantry brigade. It was designated as round-out brigade for the 6th Infantry Division (Light). As of 1987, the 205th Infantry Brigade (Separate) (Light)'s Light Fighter Academy was located at Fort McCoy, Wisconsin. The Brigade was inactivated on 15 September 1994 at Fort Snelling, Minnesota.
The Brigade was withdrawn on 24 October 1997 from the Army Reserve and allotted to the Regular Army. The Brigade's headquarters was concurrently activated at Fort Benjamin Harrison, Indiana, where it was subsequently inactivated on 16 October 1999 at Fort Benjamin Harrison, Indiana.
The Brigade's headquarters was reactivated on 1 December 2006 at Indianapolis, Indiana. Allotted again the Army Reserve, the unit was assigned to Division East, First US Army as a training brigade/ The Brigade's headquarters was split between Indianapolis and Camp Atterbury, Indiana. The Brigade provided post-mobilization training of US Army forces bound to support Operation Enduring Freedom, Operation Iraqi Freedom, and Multi National Task Force (East), Kosovo. The Brigade had the mission of training Army Reserve units in Michigan, Ohio, and Indiana to ensure their combat readiness. Special emphasis was place on a "train as you fight" via a theater immersion methodology, ensuring the Brigade's trainers (called "OC-Ts" - Observers/Controllers-Trainers) were experienced, competent and knowledgeable of all theater-specific tactics, techniques and procedures. The Brigade placed heavy emphasis on the basic fundamentals of warfighting, marksmanship, physical fitness, and the counter-improvised explosive device (C-IED) fight
As of July 2010, the Brigade was designated as the First US Army's Transportation and Kosovo Center of Excellence, and consisted of 3 multi-component battalions (Indiana, Michigan, and Ohio), one active component battalion (Indiana), and one US Army Reserve logistical battalion (Indiana).
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|