2nd Battalion - 202nd Air Defense Artillery
Batteries G and H, 2nd Battalion, 202nd Air Defense Artillery, are respectively assigned to the 30th and 256th Heavy Separate Brigades.
2nd Battalion, 202nd Air Defense Artillery Regiment, traces its origins to the consitution on 1 July 1897 in the Illinois National Guard of a squadron of cavalry organized from existing troops. That unit expanded, reorganized, and was mustered into Federal service on 21 May 1898 as the 1st Illinois Volunteer Cavalry; and mustered out of Federal service 11 October 1898 at Fort Sheridan, IL. It reorganized in 1899 in the Illinois National Guard as the Squadron of Cavalry. It expanded, reorganized, and was redesignated on 22 June 1899 as the 1st Cavalry. The unit was mustered into Federal service on 27 June 1916 and mustered out of Federal service 17 November 1916 at Fort Sheridan, IL.
Chicago elements converted and were redesignated on 9 June 1917 as the 2nd Field Artillery. The 2nd Field Artillery was drafted into Federal service 5 August 1917 and was reorganized and redesignated on 21 September 1917 as the 122nd Field Artillery and was assigned to the 33rd Division. It was demobilized 7-8 June 1919 at Camp Grant, IL.
The unit reorganized on 20 August 1919 in the Illinois National Guard at Chicago as the 1st Field Artillery; while its Headquarters was Federally recognized on 11 November 1921. It was redesignated on 13 December 1921 as the 122nd Field Artillery and assigned to the 33rd Division. It was inducted into Federal service on 5 March 1941 at Chicago.
The 2nd Battalion, 122nd Field Artillery, reorganized and was redesignated on 12 February 1942 as the 210th Field Artillery Battalion, an element of the 33rd Infantry Division. The 210th Field Artillery Battalion inactivated on 5 February 1946 in Japan.
Reorganized and Federally recognized on 18 December 1946 at Chicago. It converted and was redesignated on 28 February 1954 as the 248th Antiaircraft Artillery Battalion and relieved from assignment to the 33rd Infantry Division. It reorganized and was redesignated pm 15 February 1958 as the 248th Missile Battalion.
It consolidated on 1 March 1959 with the 698th Missile Battalion and the consolidated unit was reorganized and redesignated as the 202nd Artillery, a parent regiment under the Combat Arms Regimental System, to consist of the 1st and 2nd Missile Battalions. It consolidated on 1 April 1963 with Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 202nd Artillery Group, and the consolidated unit was designated as the 202nd Artillery. It reorganized on 8 October 1963 to consist of the 1st Missile Battalion; on 1 January 1966 to consist of the 1st Battalion; and was redesignated on 1 April 1972 as the 202nd Air Defense Artillery. Its Federal recognition was withdrawn on 30 September 1974.
It reconstituted on 26 October 1994 in the Illinois Army National Guard and consolidated with the 202nd Air Defense Artillery; the consolidated unit was designated as the 202nd Air Defense Artillery to consist of the 1st Battalion, an element of the 34th Infantry Division, and the 2nd Battalion.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|