2nd Squadron, 1st Cavalry Regiment
The 2nd Squadron, 1st Cavalry Regiment was first constituted on 2 March 1833 in the Regular Army as Company B, the United States Regiment of Dragoons. This unit was organized on 29 July 1833 at Sackett's Harbor, New York. It was redesignated on 15 May 1836 as Company B, 1st Regiment of Dragoons. It was again redesignated as Company B, 1st Cavalry on 3 August 1861, at which time the personnel officially went from being "dragoons" to "troopers."
The 1st Cavalry Regiment was constituted on 3 March 1855 and organized at Jefferson Barracks, Missouri on 26 March 1855 under the command of Colonel Edwin Voss Sumner. Upon completion of the organization of the Regiment in August 1855, the 1st Cavalry was assigned to Fort Leavenworth, Kansas. Its mission was 2-fold: to maintain law and order in the Kansas Territory between pro- and anti-slavery factions and to protect the settlers from attacks by the Cheyenne Indians. In 1857 the regiment was split, with half taking up new quarters at Fort Riley, Kansas and the rest maintaining small garrisons scattered throughout the state.
On 3 March 1861, Colonel Robert E. Lee assumed command of the 1st Cavalry only to resign his commission a month later to lead the Confederate States Army in the Civil War. The military aptitude of the 28 officers selected for the 1st Cavalry was conclusively proven in the Civil War when 22 of them became general officers in either the Union or Confederate armies. Among them were Captain George B. McClellan (Major General, Commander, Army of the Potomac and the inventor of the famed McClellan saddle) and 2nd Lieutenant James E.B. (Jeb) Stuart, (Major General, CSA, Commander of the Confederate Cavalry Corps).
The 1st Cavalry Regiment was sent to the Philippines in 1908 as part of an expedition sent to quell the Moro uprising on the island of Jolo.
On 16 January 1932, the 1st Cavalry Regiment, the Army's oldest mounted unit, arrived at Fort Knox and traded its horses for combat cars. There troopers of Company B, 1st Cavalry traded their horses for tracked mounts. The new 1st Cavalry Regiment (Mechanized) was joined in 1936 by the 13th Cavalry Regiment, which in turn traded its horses for tanks. Together with the 1st, the two units comprised the 7th Cavalry Brigade (Mechanized).
On 1 June 2006, at Fort Lewis, Washington, a large Army reflagging ceremony occurred. The 1st Brigade Combat Team, 25th Infantry's colors were cased, the colors of the 2nd Cavalry Regiment were transferred, and the 4th Brigade Combat Team, 2nd Infantry Division's colors were uncased. The 2nd Squadron, 1st Cavalry's colors were uncased as part of this latter ceremony, with the unit being assigned to the new Brigade Combat Team.
Over 6 years, the the US Army Chemical School (USACMLS) worked with numerous acquisition agencies in the development and procurement of the nuclear, biological, and chemical reconnaissance variant (NBCRV), Stryker vehicle. This effort came to fruition in 2006 when the Chemical Corps and the D Troop, 2-1st Cavalry, 4th Brigade, 2d Infantry Division, received the initial fielding of the NBCRV. This achievement represented the first full-spectrum CBRN reconnaissance and surveillance system delivered to the Army since 1990.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|