Find a Security Clearance Job!

Military


2nd Battalion, 1st Air Defense Artillery Regiment

The 2nd Battalion, 1st Air Defense Artillery was first constituted on 11 January 1812 in the Regular Army as a company in the 3rd Regiment of Artillery. It was organized in July 1812 at Fort Columbus, New York, as Captain Ichabod B. Crane's Company, 3rd Regiment of Artillery. It was reorganized and redesignated on 12 May 1814 as Captain Ichabod B. Crane's Company, Corps of Artillery. It was redesignated on 17 May 1815 as Captain Ichabod B. Crane's Company, Corps of Artillery, Northern Division and again on 17 June 1816 as Company D, 2nd Battalion, Corps of Artillery, Northern Division.

The unit was reorganized and redesignated on 1 June 1821 as Company B, 1st Regiment of Artillery, on 13 February 1901 as the 2nd Company, Coast Artillery, Artillery Corps. It was again redesignated on 2 February 1907 as the 2nd Company, Coast Artillery Corps. It was reorganized and redesignated on 18 July 1916 as the 1st Company, Fort Ruger in Hawaii, and on 31 August 1917 as the 11th Company, Coast Defenses of Oahu. It was redesignated in February 1921 as the 4th Company, Coast Defenses of Honolulu and on 30 June 1922 as the 2nd Company, Coast Artillery Corps, before being inactivated on 1 July 1922 in Hawaii.

The unit was redesignated on 1 July 1924 as Battery B, 1st Coast Artillery and activated on 1 June 1926 at Fort Randolph, Canal Zone. The unit was inactivated on 31 July 1926 at Fort Randolph, Canal Zone. It was activated on 15 April 1932 at Fort Randolph, Canal Zone and inactivated on 30 March 1941 at Fort Sherman, Canal Zone. It was again activated on 17 April 1942 at Fort Sherman, Canal Zone. The unit was reorganized and redesignated on 1 November 1944 as Battery B, 1st Coast Artillery Battalion before being completely disbanded on 1 February 1946 at Fort Sherman, Canal Zone.

The unit was reconstituted on 21 June 1950 in the Regular Army as Battery B, 1st Coast Artillery. Concurrently it was redesignated as Battery B, 1st Antiaircraft Battalion. It was redesignated on 17 March 1955 as Battery B, 1st Antiaircraft Artillery Missile Battalion and activated on 15 April 1955 at Irwin, Pennsylvania. It was redesignated on 26 October 1956 as Battery B, 74th Antiaircraft Artillery Missile Battalion.

The unit was inactivated on 1 September 1958 at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. It was concurrently consolidated with Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 2nd Howitzer Battalion, 1st Artillery Regiment (active) (which had been first organized in 1901). The consolidated unit was designated as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 2nd Howitzer Battalion, 1st Artillery Regiment, an element of the 4th Infantry Division, with its organic elements constituted and activated 1 April 1957. The 2nd Howitzer Battalion, 1st Artillery Regiment was inactivated on 1 October 1963 at Fort Lewis, Washington, and relieved from assignment to the 4th Infantry Division.

The unit was redesignated on 14 July 1966 as the 2nd Battalion, 1st Artillery Regiment. It was activated on 25 August 1966 at Fort Sill, Oklahoma. It was redesignated (less former Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 2nd Howitzer Battalion, 1st Artillery Regiment) on 1 September 1971 as the 2nd Battalion, 1st Air Defense Artillery Regiment, and inactivated at Fort Sill, Oklahoma (former Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 2nd Howitzer Battalion, 1st Artillery Regiment was concurrently reorganized and redesignated as the 2nd Battalion, 1st Field Artillery Regiment, which thereafter had a separate lineage).

2nd Battalion, 1st Air Defense Artillery, was activated on 13 September 1972 in Germany. It was inactivated on 30 June 1983 in Germany. The unit was reactivated on 16 June 1987 at Fort Bliss, Texas and inactivated on 15 September 1994 at Fort Bliss, Texas. The unit was reactivated on 4 May 1996 at Fort Lewis, Washington.

On 5 January 2000, Lockheed Martin Missiles and Fire Control, Dallas, was awarded a $48 million Low Rate Initial Production (LRIP) contract for the production of 20 PAC-3 Missiles. With the LRIP contract signed, the PAC-3 Missile program was on schedule for First Unit Equipped (FUE), planned for FY01. The first unit to receive the PAC-3 Missile was the 2nd Battalion, 1st Air Defense Artillery Regiment of the 35th ADA Brigade at Fort Bliss, Texas. By early 2000 the 2-1st Air Defense Artillery was training with upgraded equipment capable of launching PAC-3 Missiles. This equipment included prototype PAC-3 Missile canisters, Fire Solution Computers (FSC) and an Enhanced Launcher Electronics System (ELES). The early fielding of PAC-3 Missile ground equipment permitted the troops of 2-1st Air Defense Artillery to become fully proficient in PAC-3 Missile operations prior to the fielding of the PAC-3 Missile.

The entire Battalion headed to McGregor Range on 3 December 2001 and remained in the McGregor Range complex through 7 December 2001. All soldiers returned to Fort bliss for the weekend and select crews would return to McGregor Range to continue weapons qualifications until 13 December 2001. The Battalion participated in Block Leave from 14 - 28 December 2001.

In January 2001, at Eskan Village, the anti-ballistic missile defense mission in Saudi Arabia and Kuwait changed hands from one Patriot missile task force to another. Task Force 2nd Battalion, 1st Air Defense Artillery Regiment relieved Task Force 1st Battalion, 1st Air Defense Artillery Regiment, both home stationed at Fort Bliss, Texas. Lieutenant Colonel John Rossi, commander of TF 2-1st Air Defense Artillery unfurled the unit colors marking the assumption of the mission. TF 1-1st Air Defense Artillery commander Lieutenant Colonel Kelvin Bright cased his unit's colors marking the beginning of his unit's trip home. TF 2-1st Air Defense Artillery became a subordinate unit to US Army Forces Central Command - Saudi Arabia (ARCENT-SA). Incoming TF 2-1st Air Defense Artillery was the first Patriot missile unit to deploy with elements of its National Guard counterparts. Battery B (Patriot), 1st Battalion, 203rd Air Defense Artillery Regiment, Alabama Army National Guard, joined TF 2-1st Air Defense Artillery in this historic rotation.

After returning from Southwest Asia, D Battery's focus in the field was to "get back to the basics." During spring 2002, a good portion of D Battery deployed to the Republic of Korea for an exercise. Korea was the "on order" mission of 35th Air Defense Artillery Brigade. This trip allowed many of the soldiers to receive the ultimate training. They went precisely where they would if called to defend freedom on the Korean Peninsula.

B Battery, 2-1st Air Defense Artillery was chosen to become the first Brigade Ready Battery in the 35th Air Defense Artillery Brigade. On 1 August 2002 it assumed the mission, and became the Battery to deploy if needed. The Battery assumed this mission for 90 days, and it concluded on 1 November 2002. Soldiers went through a maintenance training period in March 2002 in preparation for this status, and from March through July 2002 went through a series of training, evaluations and field exercises. During the 90 day Ready status, no leave was authorized, no out of town passers were permitted, appointments were selective, and soldiers were on 2 hour recall with all of their bags.

The 2nd Battalion, 1st Air Defense Artillery, arrived in South Korea in November 2004 and moved into quarters on Kwangju Air Base, a South Korean air force installation in the southwest part of the peninsula. Deploying with it to Kwangju was the 178th Maintenance Company. About 425 troops from both units moved to Kwangju. Two batteries with a total of 16 fire units of the new Patriot Advanced Capability 2 and 3 (PAC-2/PAC-3) missile defense systems deployed to Kwangju Air Base.

The unit was redesignated on 1 October 2005 as the 2nd Battalion, 1st Air Defense Artillery Regiment.

In 2004, the 35th Air Defense Artillery Brigade had become fully operational in the Republic of Korea. Beginning in 2007, Air Defense Artillery Battalions began to make one year temporary change of stations to Korea. In mid-2009, the decision was made to end these rotations. In October 2009, the 2nd Battalion, 1st Air Defense Artillery conducted a transfer of authority with the 4th Battalion, 5th Air Defense Artillery, with the deployment to Suwon Air Base becoming a permenant change of station. 2-1st Air Defense Artillery became headquartered at Camp Carroll in the Republic of Korea as part of the 35th Air Defense Artillery Brigade.




NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list