2nd Battalion, 187th Infantry Regiment
As part of the Army's transformation towards a modular force, the 2-187th Infantry stood down in 2005. At the time the majority of the 2-187th Infantry's personnel were reassigned to the 1-33rd Cavalry.
The mission of 2nd Battalion, 187th Infantry was to deploy within 36 hours worldwide as part of a joint multinational, or unilateral task force and destroy enemy forces or seize and retain terrain, to control land, people and resources.
2nd Battalion, 187th Infantry was originally constituted on 12 November 1942 in the United States Army as Company B, 187th Glider Infantry. It activated on 25 February 1943 at Camp Mackall, North Carolina, as an element of the 11th Airborne Division. It was allotted on 15 November 1948 to the Regular Army.
The unit was reorganized and redesignated on 30 June 1949 as Company B, 187th Airborne Infantry. The 187th Airborne Infantry was relieved on 1 February 1951 from the assignment to the 11th Airborne Division, and assigned on 1 July 1956 to the 101st Airborne Division.
The unit reorganized and was redesignated on 25 April 1957 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 2nd Airborne Battle Group, 187th Infantry, and remained assigned to the 101st Airborne Division (its organic elements were concurrently constituted and activated). It was relieved on 1 February 1964 from assignment to the 101st Airborne Division. It inactivated on 3 February 1964 at Fort Campbell, Kentucky.
The unit was redesignated on 1 October 1983 as the 2nd Battalion, 187th Infantry, assigned to the 193rd Infantry Brigade, and activated in Panama. It inactivated on 10 July 1987 in Panama and was relieved from assignment to the 193rd Infantry Brigade. It was reassigned on 16 September 1987 to the 101st Airborne Division, it was activated at Fort Campbell, Kentucky.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|