Find a Security Clearance Job!

Military


2nd Battalion - 185th Armor Regiment

The 2nd Battalion, 185th Armor Regiment, was originally constituted on 22 July 1885 in the California National Guard as the 7th Infantry Battalion and organized from existing companies at Los Angeles and San Diego. It expanded, reorganized, and was redesignated on 5 May 1888 as the 7th Infantry Regiment. It consolidated on 7 November 1895 with the 9th Infantry Regiment (organized 8 February 1890 in the California National Guard) and the consolidated unit was designated as the 7th Infantry Regiment.

The unit mustered into Federal service on 9 May 1898 at the Presidio of San Francisco, CA, as the 7th California Volunteer Infantry; and mustered out of Federal service on 2 December 1898 at Los Angeles. It mustered into Federal service on 29 June 1916 at Sacramento; and mustered out of Federal service on 11 November 1916 at Los Angeles. It was drafted into Federal service on 5 August 1917.

The unit consolidated between 25 September-1 November 1917 with the 2nd Battalion, Companies L and M, and Sanitary Detachment, 2nd Infantry Regiment; the consolidated unit reorganized and was redesignated as the 160th Infantry and assigned to the 40th Division. It demobilized on 7 May 1919 at Camp Kearny, CA.

Former southern California elements reconstituted and were reorganized between 23 August-6 October 1921 in the California National Guard as the 160th Infantry and assigned to the 40th Division; Headquarters was Federally recognized on 31 January 1922 at Los Angeles. The 2nd Battalion, 160th Infantry, was withdrawn, reorganized, and redesignated on 1 April 1929 as the 2nd Battalion, 185th Infantry, an element of the 40th Division (later redesignated as the 40th Infantry Division); the 160th Infantry concurrently reorganized with a new 2nd Battalion.

After 1 April 1929, the above units underwent changes as follows:

  • 2nd Battalion, 185th Infantry, expanded and was reorganized in March-April 1930 as the 2nd and 3rd Battalions, 185th Infantry. It was inducted into Federal service on 3 March 1941 at home stations. It inactivated on 7 April 1946 at Camp Stoneman, CA. The unit expanded and was reorganized on 5 August 1946 as the 223rd and 224th Infantry and assigned to the 40th Infantry Division (the 185th Infantry later was reorganized with new 2nd and 3rd Battalions - hereafter separate lineage).
  • After 5 August 1946, the 223rd and 224th Infantry underwent changes as follows:
    • The 223rd Infantry was organized and Federally recognized on 15 October 1946 with Headquarters at Pasadena. It was ordered into active Federal service on 1 September 1950 at home stations (the 223rd Infantry [NGUS] organized and was Federally recognized on 2 September 1952 with Headquarters at Pasadena). The unit was released on 30 June 1954 from active Federal service and reverted to state control; Federal recognition was concurrently withdrawn from the 223rd Infantry (NGUS). The 2nd Battalion was withdrawn on 1 July 1954 and consolidated with the 3rd Battalion, 111th Armored Cavalry (organized and Federally recognized on 26 January 1951 with Headquarters at Van Nuys); the consolidated unit reorganized and was redesignated as the 139th Tank Battalion, an element of the 40th Armored Division, with Headquarters at Burbank (remainder of 223rd Infantry - hereafter separate lineage).
    • The 224th Infantry organized and was Federally recognized on 15 October 1946 with Headquarters at Ontario. It was ordered into active Federal service on 1 September 1950 at home stations (223rd Infantry [NGUS] organized and was Federally recognized on 2 September 1952 with Headquarters at Ontario). It was released on 30 June 1954 from active Federal service and reverted to state control; Federal recognition was concurrently withdrawn from the 223rd Infantry (NGUS). The 2nd Battalion was withdrawn on 1 July 1954, reorganized, and redesignated as the 133rd Tank Battalion, an element of the 40th Armored Division, with Headquarters at Riverside (remainder of 224th Infantry - hereafter separate lineage).
  • The 160th Infantry was inducted into Federal service on 3 March 1941 at Los Angeles. It was relieved on 1 September 1942 from assignment to the 40th Infantry Division and assigned to the 27th Infantry Division; on 30 October 1942 from assignment to the 27th Infantry Division and assigned to the 40th Infantry Division. It inactivated on 7 April 1946 at Camp Stoneman, CA. It was reorganized and Federally recognized on 14 October 1946 with Headquarters at Los Angeles. It was ordered into active Federal service on 1 September 1950 at home stations (the 160th Infantry [NGUS] was organized and Federally recognized on 2 September 1952 with Headquarters at Los Angeles). It was released on 30 June 1954 from active Federal service and reverted to state control; Federal recognition was concurrently withdrawn from the 160th Infantry (NGUS). The 3rd Battalion was withdrawn, reorganized, and redesignated as the 111th Reconnaissance Battalion, an element of the 40th Armored Division, with Headquarters at Inglewood (remainder of 160th Infantry - hereafter separate lineage).

The 133rd and 139th Tank Battalions, 111th Reconnaissance Battalion, consolidated with the 140th and 134th Tank Battalions (respectively originally consituted on 3 Deeember 1941 as Company A, 640th Tank Destroyer Battalion, and on 13 July 1946 in the California National Guard as the 109th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron, Mechanized). The units were reorganized, and redesignated on 1 July 1959 as the 185th Armor, a parent regiment under the Combat Arms Regimental System, to consist of the 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 5th Medium Tank Battalions and the 3rd Reconnaissance Squadron, elements of the 40th Armored Division.

The unit was reorganized on 1 May 1962 to consist of the 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 5th Medium Tank Battalions and the 3rd Reconnaissance Squadron, elements of the 40th Armored Division, and the 6th and 7th Medium Tank Battalions; on 1 March 1963 to consist of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th Battalions, elements of the 40th Armored Division, and the 6th Medium Tank battalion; on 15 March 1964 to consist of the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th Battalions, elements of the 40th Armored Division, and the 6th Battalion; on 29 January 1968 to consist of the 1st and 2nd Battalions, elements of the 40th Armored Brigade, and the 3rd Battalion; and on 13 January 1974 to consist of the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Battalions, elements of the 40th Infantry Division.

It was withdrawn on 19 January 1988 from the Combat Arms Regimental System and reorganized under the United States Army Regimental System with Headquarters at San Diego (1st, 2nd, and 3rd Battalions ordered into active Federal service on 1 May 1992 at home stations; and released on 9 May 1992 from active Federal service and reverted to state control).



NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list