2nd Combined Arms Battalion, 136th Infantry Regiment
2nd Battalion, 136th Infantry Regiment
The 2nd Combined Arms Battalion, 136th Infantry provides the 1st Brigade Combat Team, 34th Infantry Division with a trained and ready combat force. Additionally, the 2-136th Infantry, a Minnesota Army National Guard battalion, is prepared to support the State of Minnesota with troops capable of assisting in a disaster. The Battalion is headquartered in Moorhead, Minnesota. As of 11 January 2011, there were 5 major units in the 2-136th Infantry: the Battalion's Headquarters and Headquarters Company in Moorhead and Fergus Falls, Minnesota; A Company in Bemidji and Detroit Lakes, Minnesota; B Company in Crookston and Thief River Falls, Minnesota; C Company in Grand Rapids, Minnesota; and D Company in Wadena, Minnesota.
The 2nd Battalion, 136th Infantry traces it lineage back to the 2nd Regiment, Minnesota Volunteer Infantry. The 2nd Minnesota Volunteers was mustered into service on 26 June 1861. In Januray 1862, they fought in the battle of Mill Springs, Kentucky. At the Battle of Chickamauga they withstood repeated Confederate attacks. Two months later, the 2nd Minnesota Volunteers and the rest of the Army of the Cumberland attacked Confederate troops dug in on Missionary Ridge. This was a spontaneous attack not ordered by any officer and resulted in a Union victory. The 2nd Minnesota Volunteers then fought to capture Atlanta under General Sherman and continued the famous "March to the Sea." The 2nd Minnesota Volunteers fought under General Sherman until the end of the Civil War.
When the Spanish-American War broke out in 1889, the unit was designated as the 12th Infantry Regiment. The Regiment was mustered into federal service but did not serve outside the United States. Ten years later, they were redesignated the 2nd Regiment.
During World War I, the 2nd Minnesota was renamed the 136th Infantry, but remained in the United States. Later, the 136th Infantry was assigned to the 34th Infantry Divsion. After completing its training at Camp Cody, New Mexico, the 136th Infantry, as part of the 34th Infantry Division, was shipped overseas. There it suffered the frustration of having its members dispersed to other units, rather than entering the war as a unit. Thus, while many members of the 136th Infantry saw combat in World War I, it was the fate of the unit simply to provide replacements.
The 136th Infantry was again activated in April of 1942 for World War II and assigned to the 33rd Division. After a stay in New Guinea, they moved to the island of Morotai where for 20 days they fought virtually alone against fanatical Japanese resistance. The next fight for the 136th Infantry was Luzon, in the Phillippines. The 136th Infantry overcame resistance at such places as Kennon Road and Skyline Ridge to help secure the island.
After the end of the Second World War, the 136th Infantry was inactivated from Federal service in February 1946 at Otsu, Japan. The 136th Infantry was returned home to Minnesota and assigned to the 47th Infantry Division. The 47th Infantry Division was activated during the Korean War and assigned to Camp Rucker, Alabama. Many members were reassigned and sent to Korea with various combat units.
Starting in 1976, the 2nd Battalion, 136th Infantry was assigned as a round-out unit to the active duty forces. This relationship with the 1st Infantry Division and later with the 194th Separate Armor Brigade, enhanced the warfighting capabilities of the unit. After twenty years as a round-out unit, the 2nd Battalion, 136th Infantry were proud to be attached to the 34th Infantry Division.
Months of intensive training came to fruition for members of the 2nd Battalion, 136th Infantry, 34th Infantry Division, when the unit assumed command of Task Force South as part of Multi-National Brigade North's Stabilization Force 14 (SFOR 14) during ceremonies at Eagle Base in Bosnia and Herzegovina on 23 September 2003. Headquartered in Moorehead, Minnesota and under the command of Lieutenant Colonel Gary Olson, the mission for the soldiers was to assist efforts that contributed to NATO peacekeeping efforts in Bosnia and Hezegovina. Prior to being sent overseas, the unit spent several weeks training at Fort Polk, Louisiana. The soldiers would spend approximately 7 months in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
By 2006, the federal mission of the 2nd Battalion, 136th Infantry Regiment was to mobilize and deploy by air and/or sea, occupy assembly areas, and organize for combat. It would also, on order, effect a passage of lines to conduct a movement to contact. The state mission of the unit was to provide organized, trained and equipped units and personnel to protect life, property and to preserve peace, order and public safety under the orders of the Governor of the State of Minnesota.
The 2nd Battalion, 136th Infantry Regiment was reorganized and redesignated as the 2nd Combined Arms Battalion, 136th Infantry Regiment as part of the transformation of the 34th Infantry Division to the US Army's modular force structure and the transformation of the Army National Guard as a whole to a deployable force.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|