2nd Squadron, 104th Cavalry
The 56th Brigade is the higher headquarters of the 2nd Squadron 104th Cavalry. The unit's mission is to develop situational awareness and knowledge in the area of operations, empowering the Stryker Brigade Combat Team to anticipate, forestall and dominate threats, ensuring mission accomplishment through decisive action and freedom of maneuver.
On June 30th, 1874, the 2nd Squadron, 104th Cavalry was origininally constituted in the Pennsylvania National Guard as the 8th Infantry Regiment. In August, 1874, the unit was organized in south-central Pennsylvania. On May 11-12th, 1898, the unit was mustered into Federal service at Mount Gretna as the 8th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry for the Spanish-American War. It was then mustered out of Federal service at Augusta, Georgia on March 7th, 1899.
From April 21st until June 21st, 1899 the unit was reorganized in south-central Pennsylvania as the 8th Infantry Regiment. It was then mustered into Federal service at Mount Gretna, Pennsylvania for service along the Mexican border. On March 4th, 1917, it was mustered out of Federal service.
In July and August, 1917, the unit was against mustered into Federal service at its home stations and drafted into service for WWI. On October 11th, 1917, it was consolidated with the 16th Infantry Regiment (organized in 1878) and was then concurrently reorganized and redesignated as the 112th Infantry and assigned to the 28th Division.
On June 1st, 1921, it was consolidated with elements of the 1st Cavalry and concurrently converted and redesignated as the 104th Cavalry and assigned to the 21st Cavalry Division.On February 17th, 1941, the unit was inducted into Federal service at its home stations for World War II. On January 1st, 1944 the regiment was broken up and its elements were reorganized and redesignated as follows:
- Headquarters and Headquarters Troop as Headquarters and Headquarters Troop, 104th Cavalry Group, Mechanized
- 1st and 2nd Squadrons as the 104th and 119th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadrons, Mechanized
On April 17th, 1947, the Headquarters and Headquarters Troop, 104th Cavalry Group, Mechanized, and the 104th and 119th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadrons, Mechanized, were consolidated, reorganized, and Federally recognized as the 104th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron, Mechanized, with Headquarters at Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.
On April 1st, 1975 the regiment (less the 3rd Squadron) was broken up and its elements reorganized and redesignated as follows:
- Headquarters and Headquarters Troop us the Support Company, 28th Aviation Battalion, an element of 28th Infantry Division
- Troop B as Troop B, 1st Squadron, 104th Cavalry, an element of 28th Infantry Division
- Troop N as Company A, 28th Aviation Battalion, an element of the 28th Infantry Division
- 1st Squadron less Troop B as the 1st Battalion, 156th Field Artillery, an element of the 28th Infantry Division
- 2nd Squadron as the 2nd Battalion, 112th Infantry, an element of the 28th Infantry Division
On March 30th, 1987, the regiment was withdrawn from the Combat Arms Regimental System and reorganized under the United States Army Regimental System with Headquarters at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|