Find a Security Clearance Job!

Military


185th Quartermaster Battalion

The 185th Quartermaster Battalion was originally organized in June 1885 in the California National Guard at Fresno as the Forsyth Guard. It reorganized and was redesignated on 22 July 1885 as Company C, 6th Infantry Battalion. Company F, 6th Infantry Battalion, organized on 26 January 1888 in the California National Guard at Fresno.

The unit was redesignated on 21 February 1888 as Companies C and F, 6th Infantry Regiment. It was mustered into Federal service on 11 May 1898 at San Francisco as Companies C and F, 6th California Volunteer Infantry; and mustered out of Federal service on 15 December 1898 at Fort Point, CA, and resumed state status as Companies C and F, 6th Infantry Regiment. It was redesignated on 11 May 1907 as Companies C and F, 2d Infantry Regiment.

It was mustered into Federal service on 27 June 1916 at Sacramento; and mustered out of Federal service on 15 November 1916. It was drafted into Federal service on 5 August 1917.

The unit consolidated on 24 September - 1 November 1917 with Companies C and L, 5th Infantry Regiment, California National Guard, and the consolidated units reorganized and were redesignated as Companies C and L, 159th Infantry, elements of the 40th Division. It demobilized on 1 May 1919 at the Presidio of San Francisco, CA.

Former Company C, 2d Infantry Regiment, was reorganized and Federally recognized on 1 November 1920 in the California National Guard at Fresno as the 2d Separate Company of Infantry. It was reorganized and redesignated on 1 October 1921 as Company E, 159th Infantry, an element of the 40th Division. Former Company K, 2d Infantry Regiment was reorganized and Federally recognized on 18 October 1921 in the California National Guard at Fresno as Headquarters Company, 2d Battalion, 159th Infantry, an element of the 40th Division. Company E and Headquarters Company, 2d Battalion, 159th Infantry, was redesignated on 1 July 1924 as Company C and as Headquarters Company, 1st Battalion, 184th Infantry, respectively, elements of the 40th Division.

The unit was reorganized and redesignated on 1 April 1929 as Headquarters Company and Service Company, 185th Infantry, respectively, elements of the 40th Division (later redesignated as the 40th Infantry Division). Headquarters Company, 185th Infantry, was reorganized and redesignated on 1 October 1939 as the Communications Platoon, Headquarters Company, 185th Infantry; on 15 August 1940 as Headquarters Company, 185th Infantry. Headquarters Company and Service Company, 185th Infantry, was inducted into Federal service on 3 March 1941 at Fresno. It inactivated on 7 April 1946 at Camp Stoneman, CA.

It was reorganized and Federally recognized on 18 November 1946 and 13 January 1947 at Fresno as elements of the 49th Infantry Division.

Headquarters Company and Service Company, 185th Infantry, was consolidated on 1 May 1959 with the Medical Company, 185th Infantry, which was originally organized on 19 April 1901 in the California National Guard at Fresno as the Sanitary Corps, 2d Infantry Regiment, mustered into Federal service on 27 June 1916 at Sacramento as the Sanitary Detachment, 2d Infantry Regiment; mustered out of Federal service 15 November 1916; and drafted into Federal service 5 August 1917. That unit consolidated on 25 September - 1 November 1917 with the Sanitary Detachment, 7th Infantry Regiment, California National Guard, and the consolidated unit was redesignated as the Medical Detachment, 160th Infantry, an element of the 40th Division before being demobilized on 7 May 1919 at Camp Kearney, CA. The ormer Sanitary Detachment, 2d Infantry Regiment, was reorganized and Federally recognized 20 May 1926 in the California National Guard at Fresno as the Medical Department Detachment, 184th Infantry, an element of the 40th Division prior to being reorganized and redesignated on 1 April 1929 as the Medical Department Detachment, 185th Infantry, an element of the 40th Division (later redesignated as the 40th Infantry Division). It was then redesignated on 1 May 1940 as the Medical Detachment, 185th Infantry and inducted into Federal service 3 March 1941 at Fresno. It inactivated on 7 April 1946 at Camp Stoneman, CA before being reorganized and Federally recognized on 4 August 1947 at Fresno as an element of the 49th Infantry Division and being reorganized and redesignated on 1 December 1948 as the Medical Company, 185th Infantry.

The unit resultig from the consolidation of Headquarters Company and Service Company, 185th Infantry, with the Medical Company, 185th Infantry, was reorganized and redesignated as Headquarters Company, 1st Battle Group, 185th Infantry, an element of the 49th Infantry Division. It was reorganized and redesignated on 1 March 1963 as Headquarters Company, 3d Brigade, 49th Infantry Division.

The unit converted and was redesignated on 29 January 1968 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 185th Armor Group, and relieved from assignment to the 49th Infantry Division. It was converted and redesignated on 1 November 1971 as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 185th Transportation Battalion, and ordered into active Federal service on 29 November 1990 at Fresno before being released on 28 June 1991 from active Federal service and reverting to state control.

The unit converted and was redesignated on 1 September 1992 as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 185th Quartermaster Battalion.



NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list