180th Transportation Battalion
"King of the Road"
The mission of the 180th Transportation Battalion is to, on order, deploy rapidly to a contingency area by air, sea, and land to conduct motor transportation operations as directed in support of US forces.
The 180th Transportation Battalion was first constituted on 23 February 1943 in the Army of the United States as the 3rd Battalion, 519th Quartermaster Truck Regiment and activated on 26 April 1943 at Camp Joseph T. Robinson, Arkansas. The Battalion was reorganized and redesignated on 20 December 1943 as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 180th Quartermaster Battalion, Mobile. The Battalion recieved participation credit for 5 campaigns during the Second World War: Normandy, Northern France, Rhineland, Ardennes-Alsace, and Central Europe. After the end of the Second World War, the Battalion was inactivated 12 December 1945 at Camp Kilmer, New Jersey.
The Battalion was converted and redesignated on 1 August 1946 as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 180th Transportation Corps Truck Battalion. It was redesignated on 7 December 1966 as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 180th Transportation Battalion, and allotted to the Regular Army and was activated on 23 January 1967 at Fort Hood, Texas.
The Battalion recieved participation credit for 3 campaigns in Southwest Asia as part of Operations Desert Shield and Desert Storm in 1990-1991: Defense of Saudi Arabia, Liberation and Defense of Kuwait, and Cease-Fire.
Following the events of 11 September 2001, the Battalion deployed elements in support of the Global War on Terror, and subsequently Overseas Contingency Operations.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|