142nd Engineer Combat Battalion (HVY)
The battalion's mission is to increase the combat effectiveness of division, corps and theater Army forces by accomplishing general engineering tasks and limited mobility, countermobility, and survivability tasks. The unit is also tasked to construct, repair and maintain main supply routes, landing strips, buildings, structures, and utilities in additon performing rear area security operations to include infantry combat missions when required. The company has a quarry section.
This unit moved to the Armed Forces Reserve Center on 23 January 1994. Prior to that time, the unit was located at the Fraser Memorial Armory built in 1959 and dedicated to Major General G. Angus Fraser, ND Adjutant General from 1917 to 1933.
Headquarters 142d ECB (Hv) was organized 1 October 1985 from existing units in Eastern North. Separate companies were also created in Michigan and Minnesota. In October 1988, the battalion was reorganized from four (4) letter companies to three (3) which removed Company A from Grand Forks, ND, and designated the former Company D in Michigan as the new Company A. The Battalion was again reorganizated in 1993 with Company A returning to North Dakota with its Headquarters in Oakes and Detachments in Lisbon and Mayville. Company B was split with a Detachment being formed in Fargo and Company Headquarters remaining in Wahpeton, ND. Headquarters and Support Company is entitled to display campaign participation from Normandy, Northern France Rhineland, Ardennes-Alsace, and Central Europe. Unit Decorations include the French Croix de Guere with Silver Star and Streamer embroidered BELGIUM. It was cited in the Order of the Day of the Belgian Army for action in the Ardennes.
During Annual Training in 1995 this unit underwent an ORE with very few mistakes. The Annual Training was conducted in South Dakota supporting two line companies, building a road, digging wiring for electrical, sewer pipes, and constructing a building for the South Dakota Park System.
In 1996, this unit helped support deployment of soldiers from throughout the United States for Panama. This location was the port of debarkment, and the port of embarkment. Numerous soldiers also participated in the deployment. The project in Panama was building schools, and completing the market road for the civilians.
This unit becomes involved with numerous community services, ie Boy Scout Food Drive, construction of a city park in Riverside, ND; a parking lot at Turtle River State Park; ND State Veterans Cemetery, Mandan; a walk bridge in Thompson, ND; Baptist Church parking lot in Fargo; American Legion building improvements and historical preservation of the Bagg Bonanza Farm in Wyndmere; and numerous sites on Camp Grafton in Devils Lake.
The Associated Press reported on March 4, 2004 that the 142nd Engineer Battalion would be returning from Iraq on or about March 6, 2004.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|