1st Battalion, 76th Field Artillery Regiment
1st Battalion, 76th Field Artillery, "Duty, The Spirit of '76," was first constituted in the Regular Army on 1 July 1916 with horse-drawn French 75mm pack guns. Initially organized at Fort Ethan Allen, Vermont on 13 June 1917, it served with distinction in France with the 3rd Division during World War I in the Champagne-Marne, Aisne-Marne, St Mihiel, Meuse-Argonne, and Champagne 1918 Campaigns. The unit had been consolidated, converted, and redesignated on 1 November 1917 as Battery A, 76th Field Artillery. The 76th Field Artillery was assigned on 12 November 1917 to the 3rd Division. For providing ceaseless and violently accurate fires in support of the "Marne" Division, the 76th Field Artillery Regiment was presented the Croix de Guerre with Gold Star by the Tenth French Army.
The unit was inactivated on 28 April 1930 at Fort Francis E. Warren, Wyoming. It was reactivated on 1 December 1938 at Fort Francis E. Warren, Wyoming
On 16 October 1939, the 76th Field Artillery was relieved of assignment to the 3rd Division and reassigned to the 7th Division Artillery. It was reorganized and redesignated on 22 January 1941 as Battery A, 76th Field Artillery Battalion and the 76th Field Artillery Battalion was relieved on 1 June 1941 from assignment to the 7th Division.
Landing on Utah Beach, on 11 August 1944, the 76th Field Artillery was attached to First Army and served during 4 campaigns throughout Northern France, the Rhineland, Ardennes-Alsace, and Central Europe. In April 1945, the Battalion was attached to the 1st Infantry Division for its advance into Czechoslovakia, providing continuous, devastating fires on the enemy for 189 consecutive days. On 20 November 1945, it was cited for the Order of the Day of the Belgian Army for action in the Ardennes with the 30th Infantry Division. Upon return to the States, the Battalion was inactivated on 27 November 1945 at Camp Kilmer, New Jersey.
Beginning on 1 August 1946, the 76th Field Artillery went through a series of activations and redesignations. The unit was redesignated on 1 August 1946 as Battery A, 76th Armored Field Artillery Battalion, and activated at Fort Knox, Kentucky. It was reorganized and redesignated on 28 August 1953 as the 576th Armored Field Artillery Battery. This unit was inactivated on 4 October 1954 at Fort Knox, Kentucky.
On 8 October 1954 it was redesignated as the 1st Howitzer Battalion, 76th Artillery, and activated assigned to the 2nd Infantry Brigade at Fort Devens, Massachusetts. The Battalion participated in numerous field exercises and tests in support of the Brigade Group, ROTC, and National Guard units.
The unit was reorganized and redesignated on 15 February 1958 as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 1st Howitzer Battalion, 76th Artillery, and assigned to the 2d Infantry Brigade with its organic elements concurrently constituted and activated. The Battalion was inactivated on 25 March 1962 at Fort Devens, Massachusetts and relieved on 20 April 1962 from assignment to the 2d Infantry Brigade.
On 1 September 1971 the unit was redesignated as the 1st Howitzer Battalion, 76th Field Artillery and again on 13 September 1971 as the 1st Battalion, 76th Field Artillery. It was redesignated again on 13 September 1972 as the 1st Battalion, 76th Field Artillery, assigned to the 3d Infantry Division, and activated in Germany. The Battalion served with distinction as an integral part of NATO forces during the Cold War. Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 1st Battalion, 76th Field Artillery, was reorganized and redesignated on 16 February 1987 as Battery A, 76th Field Artillery, and remained assigned to the 3rd Infantry Division with the remainder of the Battalion concurrently inactivated. Battery A, 76th Field Artillery, was also inactivated on 15 January 1992 in Germany.
The unit was reactivated on 16 August 1995 in Germany and again inactivated on 15 February 1996 in Germany and relieved from assignment to the 3rd Infantry Division
The unit was redesignated on 16 March 2004 as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 1st Battalion, 76th Field Artillery, and assigned to the 4th Brigade Combat Team, 3rd Infantry Division. The rest of the Battalion was concurrently activated at Fort Stewart, Georgia, with the formal activation ceremony being held on 24 June 2004. This change was part of the transformation of the 3rd Infantry Division (Mechanized) to the US Army's new modular force structure. As part of this transformation a fourth Brigade Combat Team became an integral part of each modular division. In addition, artillery support, previously held at Division level was made organic to the Brigade Combat Team. The Division Artillery (DIVARTY) was inactivated. 1-76th Field Artillery was activated to provide this element for 4th Brigade Combat Team, 3rd Infantry Division (Mechanized)
Within 7 months, the "Patriot" Battalion deployed to Baghdad, Iraq, in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom III. During the year-long mission in support of the US Embassy, the "Patriots" conducted an average of 18 daily combat missions throughout the Multi National Forces-Iraq area of responsibility. These patrols, while under intense insurgent and terrorist pressure, conducted 3,849 combat patrols, traveled 530,138 miles on the most dangerous roads in the world and delivered without loss or injury 61,183 diplomats, contractors, and senior military officers to their destinations across central Iraq.
The unit was again redesignated on 1 October 2005 as the 1st Battalion, 76th Field Artillery Regiment.
In 2007 the 4th Brigade, 3rd Infantry Division (Mechanized) was alerted for deployment to Iraq as part of Operation Iraqi Freedom in late 2007. The 4th Brigade, including the 1-76th Field Artillery, continued to serve in that country into 2008.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|