1-50th Infantry Battalion
The unit was constituted 15 May 1917 in the Regular Army as the 50th Infantry. It was organized 1 June 1917 at Syracuse, New York and assigned 31 July 1918 to the 20th Division.
Following World War I the unit was relieved 28 February 1919 from assignment to the 20th Division and was inactivated 31 December 1921 in Germany. The unit was demobilized 31 July 1922.
During World War II the unit was reconstituted 8 January 1942 in the Regular Army as the 50th Armored Infantry and assigned to the 6th Armored Division. The unit was activated 15 February 1942 at Fort Knox, Kentucky.
The Regiment was broken up 20 September 1943 and its elements reorganized and redesignated as elements of the 6th Armored Division as follows:
- 50th Armored Infantry (less 1st and 2d Battalions) as the 50th Armored Infantry Battalion
- 1st Battalion as the 44th Armored Infantry Battalion
- 2d Battalion as the 9th Armored Infantry Battalion
After 20 September 1943 the above units underwent changes as follows:
- 50th and 9th Armored Infantry Battalions inactivated 18 September 1945 at Camp Shanks, New York
- Activated 5 September 1950 at Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri.
- Inactivated 16 March 1956 at Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri.
Relieved 1 July 1957 from assignment to the 6th Armored Division. The 50th, 44th, and 9th Armored Infantry Battalions consolidated 1 July 1959 to form the 50th Infantry, a parent regiment under the Combat Arms Regimental System.
The 50th Infantry was reorganized and redesignated 1 July 1963 as the 1st Battalion, 50th Infantry. The unit was relieved 1 September 1967 from assignment to the 2d Armored Division.
It was assigned 16 December 1970 to the 2d Armored Division.
The unit was later inactivated 15 March 1983 at Fort Hood Texas and relieved from assignment to the 2d Armored Division. It was withdrawn 28 August 1987 from the Combat Arms Regimental System, reorganized under the United States Army Regimental System, and transferred to the United States Army Training and Doctrine Command with Headquarters at Fort Benning, Georgia.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|