1-19 Infantry Battalion
The unit was constituted 3 May 1861 in the Regular Army as Company A, 1st Battalion, 19th Infantry. It was organized 24 August 1861 at Indianapolis, Indiana.
Following the Civil War the unit was reorganized and redesignated 1 October 1866 as Company A, 19th Infantry. The unit was consolidated 17 April 1869 with Company A, 28th Infantry, and consolidated, the unit was designated as Company A, 19th Infantry.
(19th Infantry assigned 29 July 1918 to the 18th Division; assigned 17 October 1922 to the Hawaiian Division [later redesignated as the 24th Infantry Division])
The unit was redesignated 5 June 1958 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 1st Battle Group, 19th Infantry, and remained assigned to the 24th Infantry Division (organic elements concurrently constituted and activated 1 July 1958 in Germany).
The unit was reorganized and redesigned 1 February 1963 as the 1st Battalion, 19th Infantry. The unit was later inactivated 15 April 1970 at Fort Riley, Kansas.
The 1-19th was relieved 5 June 1972 from assignment to the 24th Infantry Division, assigned to the 25th Infantry Division.
Headquarters transferred 28 August 1987 to the United States Army Training and Doctrine Command and organized at Fort Benning, Georgia.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|