1st Battalion, 156th Armor Regiment
The 1st Battalion, 156th Armor has a proud lineage. It was organized 9 May and 17 May 1861 as the 2nd and 3rd Louisiana Volunteer Infantry Regiments, respectfully, and mustered into the Confederate States of America service at New Orleans.
2nd Louisiana Volunteer Infantry Regiment surrendered and was paroled 9 April 1965 at Appomattox, Virginia with the Army of Northern Virginia.
3rd Louisiana Volunteer Infantry Regiment disbanded 20 May 1865 at Shreveport, Louisiana.
2nd and 3rd Louisiana Volunteer Infantry Regiments reconstituted 30 May 1878 as a Special Militia Force to comprise several companies and battalions "outside of Orleans Parish." Elements organized 1878-1890, embracing fifteen companies by 1890.
Reorganized 26 December 1891 as the 1st and 2nd Battalions of Infantry and transferred to the Louisiana State Guard.
Reorganized 17 March 1896, the Louisiana National Guard formed the 1st Regiment of Infantry with headquarters in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.
Mustered into federal service 8-18 May 1898 at New Orleans for service in the War with Spain, as the 1st Louisiana Volunteer Infantry Regiment.
Mustered out of federal service 3 October 1898 at Jacksonville, Florida.
On 8 August 1899, the regiment reorganized and continued its existence as the 1st Infantry Battalion. By 6 December 1904, its expansion warranted its reorganization as the 1st Infantry Regiment.
In June 1916, the 1st Infantry Regiment was mustered for the Mexican Border War. The regiment was deactivated on 1 April 1917. I t was again mustered on 25 September 1917 and redesignated at the 156th Infantry Regiment, and deployed to Brest, France. The regiment was utilized in the 5th Depot Division. At World War I's end, the 156th Infantry Regiment was demobilized on 23 June 1919 at Camp Beauregard, Louisiana.
In 1924, the 156th Regiment was reorganized again and federalized as part of the 31st Infantry Division.
In November 1939, the regiment's 2nd battalion was expanded and reorganized into the 204th Coast Artillery (Anti-Aircraft) Regiment.
On 6 January 1941, the newly organized 204th CAA Regiment was transferred to the Western Defense Command. In September 1943, the 204th CAA Regiment broke out into three separate battalions. These were the 769th Antiaircraft Artillery Gun Battalion, the 527th Antiaircraft Automatic Weapons Battalion, and the 244th Antiaircraft Artillery Searchlight Battalion.
At the end of World War II, but not until 1946, the 224th Antiaircraft Artillery Searchlight Battalion was deactivated and reorganized into the 199th Infantry Battalion.
The 156th Infantry and the 199th Infantry (less 3rd Battalion) consolidated on 1 July 1959 and designated as the 156th Infantry, consisting of the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Battle Groups of the 39th Infantry Division.
Reorganized 1 May 1963, the 156th Regiment consisted of 4 battalions.
These battalions were reassigned under the 256th Infantry Brigade and the 1st Battalion was designated 1st Infantry Battalion. It was later reorganized as the 1st Battalion 156th Armor on 1 March 1977.
From 1 August 1987 through 22 August 1987, 1st Battalion 156th Armor executed a rotation to the National Training Center at Fort Irwin, California.
From 1 June 1989 through 30 August 1989, 1st Battalion 156th Armor transitioned from the M60A1 Main Battle Tank to the M1 Abrams Main Battle Tank.
On 30 November 1990, 1st Battalion 156th Armor was ordered to active duty in support of Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm. The battalion was deactivated 8 May 1991.
From October 1993 through March 1994, 1st Battalion 156th Armor transitioned from the M1 Main Battle Tank to the M1A1 Main Battle Tank.
From 7 July 2001 through 28 July 2001, 1st Battalion 156th Armor executed a rotation to the National Training Center at Fort Irwin, California.
Operation Iraqi Freedom
Curiosity may have killed the cat, but in this instance, it saved the lives of an untold number of people. Soldiers from 1st Battalion, 156th Armor Regiment, Louisiana National Guard, discovered an insurgent safe-house in western Baghdad on their first day in a new area of operations on 13 December 2004. The Tiger Brigade was patrolling the back roads around farmland that once belonged to Saddam Hussein's son Udai. They were passing an inconspicuous farmhouse when Staff Sgt. Eric Lee, 156th AR, spotted an expensive vehicle he felt was out of place in the country surroundings. He stopped the convoy and had his Soldiers dismount for further investigation. When the Soldiers approached the house, several suspected insurgents fled in expensive automobiles. Two suspects were detained before they could escape. The 156th Soldiers knew something was amiss and approached the house with increased caution. The vehicles contained approximately 1,000 pounds of explosives, including an Italian-made anti-ship bomb, three 155 mm artillery rounds and 300 pounds of ammonium nitrate. Another anti-ship bomb laid in the safe house, presumably to be used for another vehicle-borne improvised explosive device.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|