1st Battalion - 150th Armor Regiment
The 1st Battalion, 150th Armor Regiment, was originally constituted on 1 March 1778 as the Militia of Greenbrier Co., VA. Minute-men companies organized for frontier defense in 1777 and subsequently; drafts furnished 1777-1782 for Virginia regiments of the Continenial Line.
The unit entered State service in 1788 as Captain William Clendennin's Ranger Company. As Captain John Morris's Ranger Company, it entered Federal service from 1 May - 30 September 1791 and from 15 March 1792 - 1 January 1793. It reverted to State service as Captain John Caperton's Ranger Company in 1793.
The unit reorganized on 22 December 1792 as volunteer companies of the 13th Brigade, Virginia Militia (including Greenbrier and Kanawha Counties). The Following companies of 13th Brigade combined in September 1812 with seven companies from what is now northern West Virginia to form the 2nd Regiment, Virginia Volunteer Militia, commanded by Lieutenant Colonel Dudley Evans, and was mustered out in April 1813:
- Lieutenant Andrew Bryan's Infantry Company (Mason)
- Captain John Henry's Infanrty Company (Kanawha)
- Captain John Simmon's Rifle Company (Cabell)
- Captain Solomon Taylor's Infantry Company (Greenbrier)
- Captain Anthony Van Sickle's Rifle Company (Mason)
Additional cavalry, rifle, and light infantry companies were furnished from the 13th Brigade to Virginia Regiments raised at large from 1812 to 1815. Elements with Union sympathy organized on 18 October 1861 as the 5th Virginia Volunteer Infantry Regiment at Ceredo and were mustered out pm 21 July 1865. (Elements with Confederate sympathy joined various Virginia regiments, Confederate States Army). State forces reorganized on 21 November 1863 as volunteer companies, 2nd Division, West Virginia Militia (covering counties in the central and southern portions of the State).
The unit reorganized on 7 June 1889 in the West Virginia National Guard as the 2nd Regiment, comprising the following volunteer companies:
- Company A, Gilmer Guards (Glenville)
- Company B, Greenbrier Guards (Lewisberg)
- Company C, Monroe Guards (Union)
- Company D, Hinton Guards (Hinton)
- Company E, Wilson Guards (Spencer)
- Company F, Jefferson Guards (Charles Town)
- Company G, Willis Guards (Logan Court House)
It consolidated on 29 April 1898 with the 1st Regiment (organized from existing units 21 May 1878) to form the 1st West Virginia Volunteer Infantry. It was mustered into Federal service between 7-14 May 1898 at Charleston; and mustered out on 4 Febuary 1899 at Columbus, GA. The former 2nd Regiment reverted to State status as the 2nd Infantry Regiment (former 1st Regiment, hereafter separate lineage).
Mustered into Federal service on 17 July 1916 for service on the Mexican Border; it was mustered out on 24 March 1917 at Huntington. It was mustered again into Federal service on 10 April 1917 at Charleston and drafted into Federal service on 5 August 1917. The unit was redesignated on 19 September 1917 as the 150th Infantry and assigned to the 38th Division. It demobilized on 5 January 1919 at Camp Taylor, KY.
Reorganized and Federally recognized on 13 July 1922 in the West Virginia National Guard as the 150th Infantry and assigned to 38th Division, it was inducted into Federal Service on 17 January 1941 at home stations. It was relieved on 1 March 1942 from assignment to the 38th Division and inactivated on 1 February 1946 at Fort Clayton, Canal Zone.
Reorganized (less 3rd Battalion) and Federally recognized on 17 December 1946 with Headquarters at Charleston, (concurrently, a new 3rd Battalion organized while the former 3d Battalion converted and was redesignated as the 468th Field Artillery Battalion, hereafter seperate lineage.), it converted, was reorganized and redesignated on 1 July 1955 as 150th Armored Cavalry.
The unit was ordered into active Federal service on 15 October 1961 at home stations; and released from active Federal service on 11-15 August 1962, reverting to State control. It was reorganized (less the 2nd Squadron) on 1 March 1968 as the 3rd Squadron, 150th Armor Cavalry (the 2nd Squadron was concurrently broken up and redesignated as various units in the West Virginia Armored Cavalry (107th Armored Cavalry [less 3rd Squadron] was allotted to the Ohio Army National Guard - hereafter seperate lineage)).
Reorganized and redesignated on 1 July 1974 as the 150th Armored Cavalry (only 1st squadron organized), it was withdrawn on 1 June 1989 from the Combat Arms Regimental System and reorganized under the United States Army Regimental System with Headquarters in Bluefield. It was reorganized and redesignated 1 September 1993 as the 150th Armor to consist of the 1st Battalion, an element of the 28th Infantry Division.
During 1998 the 150th Armor Battalion conducted five different annual training cycles. They sent tank platoons to Fort Stewart, Georgia on three different rotations. The scouts, mortarmen, and a cell from the Headquarters Company attended Annual Training at Fort Knox, KY. This marked the first time the 150 th had annual training at the organization's new deployment location. The remaining tank platoons and support package from the Headquarters Company attended training at Fort Pickett, Virginia. The primary focus at Fort Pickett was Tank Table VIII qualification. The battalion had one tank crew from Company C, Beckley, West Virginia fire 996 out of 1000 points to obtain the TOP GUN award.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|