December 2012 Intelligence News
- US to Sell South Korea Spy Drones VOA 26 Dec 2012 -- The Obama administration has formally proposed the sale of advanced spy drones to South Korea, in a push to boost the Seoul government's ability to protect itself from attacks by the heavily-militarized North.
- Analysts: Chinese Drone Technology Advancing Rapidly VOA 19 Dec 2012 -- Analysts say China is using its rapidly expanding defense budget to make impressive advances in drone technology, prompting some to worry that the United States' global dominance in the market could soon be challenged.
- Press Secretary Responds to Media Reports on DOD Undersecretary AFPS 19 Dec 2012 -- Media reports that a Pentagon investigation determined the Defense Department's top intelligence official leaked restricted information about the raid that killed Osama bin Laden to filmmakers are "unwarranted, unfounded, and unfair," Pentagon Press Secretary George Little said yesterday.
- Statement from Pentagon Press Secretary George Little on Press Reports Related to Undersecretary Michael Vickers DoD 18 Dec 2012
- Iran using all potentials to design kinds of drones, minister IRNA 18 Dec 2012 -- Defense Minister Brigadier General Ahmad Vahidi said Iran is using all opportunities to design various kinds of drones.
- IRGC official: Iranian-made drones more sophisticated than US Scan Eagle IRNA 18 Dec 2012 -- IRGC Deputy Commander Brigadier General Hossein Salami said on Tuesday that Iranian-made drones are much more sophisticated than US Scan Eagle dron which was recently captured by Iranian forces over the Persian Gulf waters.
- IRGC launches ScanEagle production line, commander IRNA 17 Dec 2012 -- Navy Commander of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) Rear Admiral Ali Fadavi announced Monday that the production line of the ScanEagle drone has been launched.
- Intelligence Council Poses Four Worlds of the Future AFPS 13 Dec 2012 -- Prediction is an inexact science.
- Report on Global Trends Discusses Game Changers AFPS 12 Dec 2012 -- The pace of change in the world has accelerated and Global Trends 2030 -- a publication of the National Intelligence Council -- lists what experts consider game changers that will drive world events over the next 18 years.
- National Intelligence Council Forecasts Megatrends AFPS 11 Dec 2012 -- The American Century is drawing to a close, and the U.S. Defense Department will have to be more flexible in dealing with a faster-paced multipolar world, according to the Global Trends 2030 report released yesterday.
- Forecast Sees Eroded U.S. Power RFE/RL 11 Dec 2012 -- A new forecast from the U.S. intelligence community says the United States will likely see its superpower status eroded by 2030 as Asian economies become stronger than the economies of North America and Europe.
- Iran completes decoding US RQ-170 Sentinel data IRNA 10 Dec 2012 -- Commander of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps Aerospace unit Brigadier-General Amir Ali Hajizadeh said on Monday Iran has completed decoding data from the US advanced RQ-170 Sentinel stealth aircraft captured last year.
- Iranian defensive power has embarrassed US IRNA 10 Dec 2012 -- Deputy Commander of Armed Forces Brigadier-General Masoud Jazayeri said on Monday that Iranian defensive power has embarrassed the US.
- Karzai Cites Pakistan Link In Attack On Afghan Spy Chief RFE/RL 08 Dec 2012 -- Afghan President Hamid Karzai says that a suicide bombing attack that wounded his country's intelligence chief was planned in the Pakistani city of Quetta.
- MP: US drones capture proves Iran's capabilities IRNA 08 Dec 2012 -- Member of Majlis National Security and Foreign Policy Commission Mohammad Hasan Asafari said on Saturday that capturing of US Scan Eagle drone by IRGC forces proved the high capabilities of Iranian forces in thwarting plots of enemies.
- Tehran: Azeri Drones on 'Spy Missions' along Iran Border RIA Novosti 08 Dec 2012 -- Azerbaijan is using drones to carry out spying missions along its border with Iran and Nagorno-Karabakh, Azerbaijan's ethnic Armenian breakaway republic, Iran's Press TV reported on Saturday.
- Wounded Afghan Intel Chief Treated at US Base VOA 07 Dec 2012 -- Afghanistan's intelligence chief, who was seriously wounded Thursday in an assassination attempt, is being treated at a U.S. military base outside of Kabul.
- Manhattan U.S. Attorney Announces Arrest of Queens Resident for the Export of Military-Use Items to Taiwan and Attempting to Export Them to China FBI 07 Dec 2012 -- Preet Bharara, the United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York; Sidney Simon, the Special Agent in Charge of the U.S. Commerce Department’s Bureau of Industry and Security’s Office of Export Enforcement New York Field Office (DOC); and George Venizelos, the Assistant Director in Charge of the New York Field Office of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), today announced the arrest of Mark Henry, a United States citizen and a resident of Queens, New York, in connection with a scheme to illegally export defense articles and goods with military applications from the U.S. to Taiwan and China.
- Navy Veteran Charged in 'Russia Spying' Sting: US Officials RIA Novosti 07 Dec 2012 -- A retired 20-year-veteran of the US Navy was arrested Thursday and charged with attempted espionage after trying to provide classified information on methods used to track US submarines to people he believed were from Russia, US authorities announced.
- Former Navy Sailor Charged in Virginia with Attempted Espionage FBI 06 Dec 2012 -- Robert Patrick Hoffman, II, 39, of Virginia Beach, Virginia, has been indicted by a federal grand jury for attempting to provide classified information to individuals who he believed to be representatives of the Russian Federation.
- Afghan Intelligence Chief Wounded In Bombing RFE/RL 06 Dec 2012 -- The head of Afghanistan's intelligence service has been wounded in a bomb attack in Kabul.
- US has to confirm Iran's capture of American drone sooner or later, official IRNA 06 Dec 2012 -- An official of Iran's Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) said Thursday that the US military officials will have to confirm, sooner or later, that the drone captured by Iran two days ago belongs to them.
- Capture of US drone proves Iran defense capabilities, MP IRNA 06 Dec 2012 -- A member of Iranian Majlis (Parliament) said on Thursday that capturing a US drone in the Persian Gulf proved Iran's capabilities to defend the country's airspace.
- Iran Urges US to Confirm Drone Capture RIA Novosti 05 Dec 2012 -- Iran said the United States should carefully review its drone records, following Washington's denial of Tehran's claims that it had captured one of them.
- US Denies Tehran Claims of Drone Capture RIA Novosti 05 Dec 2012 -- The US has “no evidence” to support Iran’s reports that it had captured a US drone in the Persian Gulf, White House spokesman Jay Carney said.
- Russian Paras Test Lightweight UAV RIA Novosti 05 Dec 2012 -- Russia's airborne forces have started state acceptance trials of the new Iskatel (Searcher) lightweight unmanned aerial vehicle system.
- U.S. Navy Denies Iran 'Captured' Drone RFE/RL 04 Dec 2012 -- The U.S. Navy has denied that any of its unmanned spy planes is missing in the Middle East, despite reports that Iran has "captured" a U.S. drone.
- Iran Claims It Captured US Drone VOA 04 Dec 2012 -- A U.S. Navy spokesman says no American drones are missing in the Middle East, after Iran state media said the country has "captured" an American drone that entered Iranian airspace over Persian Gulf waters.
- Salehi says Iran will go to court of justice for US aggression by ScanEagle IRNA 04 Dec 2012 -- Iran will go to The Hague International Court of Justice to complain against US for aggression on Iran by ScanEagle.
- Iran Claims US Drone Capture RIA Novosti 04 Dec 2012 -- Iran’s elite Revolutionary Guards said they had captured a US drone, the third reported incident involving Iranian forces and American unmanned aircraft in the past 12 months.
- IRGC captures spying US drone IRNA 04 Dec 2012 -- The Islamic Revolution Guards Corpse has captured a US drone in the Persian Gulf.
- Defense Intelligence Office Marks 10 Years of Progress AFPS 04 Dec 2012 -- An entry in the National Defense Authorization Act for fiscal 2003 created a position in the Defense Department that for the first time harnessed and focused the department’s diverse intelligence assets.
- Puma AE: 'Eye in the Sky' NNS 04 Dec 2012 -- High over head, rain or shine, an elusive, yet sophisticated surveillance equipment flies in areas that are difficult to see with the naked eye.
- Military Intelligence - this week in history: 13 Dec 1941 Army News 04 Dec 2012 -- The Corps of Intelligence Police was established in 1917 to provide Counter espionage support to the American Expeditionary Forces during World War I.
- MK 18 Team Members Earn Two-Star Accolades for Expeditious, Expeditionary Acquisition Support NNS 03 Dec 2012 -- Naval Surface Warfare Center Panama City Division members of the MK 18 Mod 2 team were presented with two-star accolades Nov. 28.
- Pentagon Plans to Expand Intelligence Gathering VOA 02 Dec 2012 -- A leading U.S. newspaper says the Defense Department has an 'ambitious' plan to assemble an espionage network, rivaling the Central Intelligence Agency in size.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|